cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portal vs webdynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We are implementing an mdm solution, now the issue either to integrate MDM with Portal directly or MDM with webdynpro for user Interfacing.

As much I know, if their is no existing portal enviornment, It is better to go with Web dynpro(stand alone) for UI enviornment...... correct me if I am wrong.

also from an effort perspective which is feasable/easy ........Web dynpro or Enterprise Portal.

and If you can give me any clarity in comparision.....Web dynpro Vs Enterprise Portal... wrt MDM that would be great.

pls reply

Thanks,

ve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Veena.

>>We are implementing an mdm solution, now the issue either to integrate MDM with Portal directly or MDM with webdynpro for user Interfacing.

I'm not getting your requirement clearly. Could you explain it more detail?

Do you have portal landscape? If yes MDM Offers UI based environment called iViews where you can configure and build your own interface. If not, then you have to design your application on Webdynpro(Java/ABAP). Designing a new application can be evaluated based on your requirements.

also from an effort perspective which is feasable/easy ........Web dynpro or Enterprise Portal.

Feasibility from my point of view, IViews are much easier and capable where you can have most of the functionalities(like in Datamanager) in the webdynpro UI integrated into the portal.

Regards

Bala.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

Thanks for the quick reply..

Just a little unclear with the below options.........

1. If their is portal enviornment, can i link MDM(like data mgr) directly with portal thru iviews without using webdynpro.

2. If their is a portal enviornment, can i still use webdynpro and integrate to portal using iviews.

3. If no portal enviornment, Do I need to develop standalone applications(using webdynpros.)

right now we just have MDM in place, thier is a possible thought of wether to go with Portals or webdynpro.

if possible, pls give me a little clarity on the above 3 pts.

rgds,

ve

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Veena.

The following link will give you an insight of how to create and integrate the MDM with SAP Enterprise Portal.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/45/c9f8cac2124ebee10000000a11466f/frameset.htm

1If their is portal enviornment, can i link MDM(like data mgr) directly with portal thru iviews without using webdynpro.

Yes, you can link MDM with the Portal by creating iviews for the selective operations which you want to perform.

The operations which you are performing through Datamanager can be perfomed using the IViews. you can create your own using the predefined MDM templates provided like ResultSetView, Itemdetails view, hierarchy view etc.

2. If their is a portal enviornment, can i still use webdynpro and integrate to portal using iviews.

Yes, you can integrate your webdynpro applications using the portal environment.

3. If no portal enviornment, Do I need to develop standalone applications(using webdynpros.)

If you are don't have the portal environment then you can develop your webdynpro applications and launch them as a standalone ones.

• Portal iView = An iView refers to any kind of application, information or service that can be visualized in a Web browser frame

• MDM iView = MDM IViews provide a list of predefined iView templates to access to the tasks and information of the masterdata.

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

Better to go for WebDynpro than Portal iViews.

WebDynpro iviews are more flexible, whereas portal iveiws are too restricted.

I think SAP has stopped development on Portal iView, and recommends WebDynpro.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

Could you pls elaborate

" WebDynpro iviews are more flexible " .......... Like ?

" whereas portal iveiws are too restricted "........ Like ?

Also effort wise Portal iviews Vs Dynpro, is it a tedious task for portal iviews.

pls explain

thanks,

ve.

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Veena.

As mentioned by Shailesh, portal iviews are too restricted which means you can't extend the functionalities which is offered by MDM iViews.

For example., MDM iView provide you a resultsetview in which you can do a keyword search and the results are shown in a tabular column below. you can also add hieararchy for taxonomy related data, picklist for lookup tables and an Itemdetails view to view the detail information of a record.

So it depends on your requirement what you want to achieve. If your requirement is complex, then yes you have to go by creating your own webdynpro views.

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As suggested by bala is correct.

Shailesh is also right.

Basically it all depends on yr business requirement.

If you go by portal iviews ,it just display the information as standard information not by yr according business requirement

but if you go by webdynpro views then you can develop according to yr requirement.

But yes the development effort is to more in webdynpro as compare to portal iviews as in case of portal iviews is simple and

no development effort whereas in case of webdynpro you have to develop whole application from scratch.

so its depend uopn requirement .If you have lots of business requiremnt then go with webdynpro otherwise choose portal iviews.

For example :You have a price field of type qualified that can contain different prices for one record and you want to display

the price in some order like in ascending order.

In this case you can achieve through webdynpro views where as if order doesnot matter then go to portal iview.similarly you have lots of business case.

So go by yr requiremnts you have to tak decsion which is feasible for you.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veena,

Most of the things are highlighted by Bala & Sudhanshu in last two replies.

Here are the things which are there in WebDynpro but not there in Portal iViews.

1. Most helpful feature is User Exits added in WebDynpro portal, which allows context sensitive operations.

2. In case if you extend your development with SAP BPM in future, WebDynpro development will be helpful.

3. WebDynpro UI is developed in WebDynpro Java which is better than HTMLB used for Portal Development.

4. SAP has added Matching & Merging functionality in WebDynpro, which is not there in Portal iViews.

5. You can mark a field as required on one page and not required on another, which is not possible in Portal iView.

6. You can handle field visibility based on some selection, which is not possible in Portal iView.

7. You can configure specific validations at design time, which is not possible in Portal iVIew.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Was Very helpful & gave me enough clarity............ THANKS

Best regards,

Ve