cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to estimate the amount of data to be archived ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts:

We have a BI and an ECC6 to be archived.

Is there any way to estimate beforehand how much data can be trimmed from the DB?

Please share your experience.

Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Without going through a full data analysis, you could try use solution manager which I believe has some functionality to identify the fastest growing tables.

If you have access to an Data Archiving consultant, some could be able to perform a full data analysis which should identify the fastest growing tables, interdependencies between objects and how much data you could expect to remove through an archiving project. Bare in mind that there are big dependencies between objects so its very important to archive in the correct order. If you do a data archiving project, you may find yourself having to archive 15 objects to get the top 10 archived because of the interdependencies.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Ralf
Active Participant

Go to transaction SARA, type in an archiving object, i.e. FI_DOCUMNT.

Click on Database Tables and then on Space Statistics, this gives you an overview of the DB sizes and number of records.

Use transaction TAANA to run analysis on distribution of data in a table. For example count the entries in table BKPF by Company Code, Fiscal Year and Document Type.

That doesn't give you a full picture, but both are helpful tools to estimate the impact of archiving.

Best,

Ralf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jessica,

Normally data is archived after 3-5 years. It's not same in all cases. But following factors are taken into account for archiving the data:

1. How frequently archived documents are used?

2. Space available in contetn server

3. History is required or not?

4. If all the parametes are fine then you need to decide when these files sholud be archived.

Note that archiving is a separate project. Normaly done when system is streamline i.e. 3-5 years.

I hope this will resolve the query.

Regards,

Ravindra