cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please recommend some reading materials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I am going to start a new career as a technical writer in an open source company which develops products in SOA. I need to get a kick start before joining them. Problem is this area is totally new to me: SOA and opensource in general.

Can you recommend some good reads for a beginner in SOA and opensource in general please? I have already gone thought the stuff in Wiki and few other sites plus I am currently reading the book "SOA for Dummies"

Many thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

wiki is good source for starters and also read the footnote for comprehensive information. You can also subsribe to ZDnet, PCWorld and other newsletter (refer: http://www.zdnet.com/topics/open+source). Newsletter will deliver quality read directly to your mailbox. You can also subsribe various feeds to keep you up to date.

Regards,

Gourav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. I was actually looking for a book which covers the basics as I am a beginner.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Desh,

I haven't come across a really good book on the subject (maybe I didn't look hard enough) but Wikipedia, reading lots on SCN, a few really good RSS Feeds & some really good newsletters did the trick for me. The problem is that many people have many different interpretations & you need to read alot of information & formulate a consistent view of SOA * Open Source for yourself.

If you say that you will be doing Technical Writing on SOA & Open Source without having much exposure tio either then you add yet another viewpoint which won't help matters much or others that come after you trying to learn this stuff

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the record, noone will learn SOA from me. II will be writing about specific products of a vendor. It's just that it will be easier for me with some basic knowledge on SOA and Opensource in general.

Many thanks for your replies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree with Trevor , you wont find enough information in single book. You can better subscribe to certain online newsletters as they are very good to provide up-to-date information along with some quality analysis.

If you are only going to write for specific vendor and specific product and my suggestion is to read thoroghly about similar products/services from competitor companies.

Regards,

Gourav

Answers (0)