cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things to consider while designing an interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

I've got an opportunity to design (functional design) the first outbound interface of my career. I'm little confused with the data mapping part of it with the legacy team. I want to follow a structured method to avoid missing out things and bother the legacy team again and again with silly question. Can anyone provide me a structured method and the important things that I should know and discuss with the legacy team?

I'm new to SDN and I'm not aware of all the protocols of the forum. Please excuse me if I've put accross a wrong question.

Thanks,

Rohit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you working on design what kind of design??

Like have you got functional requirements from functional Team?? or you involving in gathering functional Requirement??

Functional Design:

Nothing to do with your Interface design, try to understand the business requirement, and identify the source data and target data, and what system is going to be source and target.

then identify the is there any business data validations and data mapping between source and data, for this you have maintain one excel sheet for data mapping, define source and target structures and business logic involved in mapping.

in this phase you have to develop functional document, which gives the high-level business requirement and graphical representation of data flow between source and target system(MSVisio diagram).

Technical Design:

Technical design will talk about how youu2019re going to achieve your functional requirement using PI.

First analyze the requirement, like source and target systems and which adapters will full fill your requirement to retrieve/send data to source/target systems.

Then identify which type of interface it is Synchronous or asynchronous.

Then you have to identify mapping logic, refer functional data mapping document and identify which mapping will be required(Message ,JAVA,XSLT and ABAP ),if your requirement can be achieved using message mapping then well and good.

Identify the best approach to implement your business requirement using SAP PI, prepare design document, if you donu2019t have much experience in SAP PI, then refer senior recourse about design, he will help you if anything needed to be changed in your design approach.

Now you are clear with requirement, mapping logic and ready with design.

Start development refer naming convention document before starting your requirement and follow the valid naming standards and complete your development and mean time complete technical specification document for your interface.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj. I'm preparing a FS.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you preparing FS then no need think about PI design..prepare your bussiness requirement. after that you can think about it like how to develop in PI.

Regards,

Raj