cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP db upgrade to Oracle 10G 64 bit - Dedicated or Shared Server ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We current run 32bit servers ( approx 150 users ) and plan to migrate to ECC 6.0 on 64bit bit server. Question about upgrade <br>from Oracle 9.2.0.8 32bit to 10.2.0.4 64 bit . Database upgrade Oracle 64 bit should be Dedicated or Shared Server? <br><br>

My understanding ( limited), is Oracle 64bit dedicated server connection has the dedicated resource so whether or not a user is<br> doing work the connection remains allocated to that user. So for example, in our case a small Windows "shop" will needs <br>around 2MB of kernel space. So 150 threads, for 150 dedicated server connections, approx 150 x 2MB RAM. Correct ? <br><br>

Whereas Shared server the user connection is shared, that is user is connecting by dispatchers and when a user is idle his <br>resource can be used by other users, thus lessen the load on system. So in this case maybe 5 dispatcher processes and <br>30 shared server processes to service the 150 sessions of the 150 users which seems very effective to me . <br>My main concern however is with some of the Finance people who get problems with huge COPA and SIS reports now which is <br>why we are moving to 64bit OS/DB/SAP<br><br>

Question is which does SAP ECC 6.0 support ( or recommend ) Oracle 64 bit Dedicated or Shared Server db migration ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Question is which does SAP ECC 6.0 support ( or recommend ) Oracle 64 bit Dedicated or Shared Server db migration ?

Never heard that anyone uses shared Server Setup with SAP.

With SAP, it is NOT the user having a DB connection.

It is the workprocess, and it is keeping it even if all users are idle.

You allways have dedicated Oracle processes for SAP Workprocesses.

The rather old note 70197 states, that Oracle MTS (multi threaded server)

allowed, but you are on your own to configure it and there are some pitfalls.

Volker

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Nik,

don't think only about the PGA (which can be set to a "soft" limit or a hard limit with manual sizing). If you want to do it in that detail - you also have to calculate the "memory mapping".

Here is a nice blog article about that topic: http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/memory/

Personally i prefer dedicated connections - also check sapnote #70197.

Regards

Stefan