cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger emails when alerts are generated ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are monitoring satellite systems for aborted background jobs using solman. We are getting the alert in solman but how do we trigger emails when alerts are generated? The MTE in solman does not allow us to assign any autoreaction methods.

Solman 7.0 SPS 16. Satellite system is ECC 5.

SCOT is already configured and we are getting emails for system down alerts.

Thanks in advance

Prasad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the BP Mon set up, select the node "Notifications & Service Messges". Then set up emails to be sent automatically for alerts in Notifications table.

Regards,

Sean

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sean & Volker for your responses.

@Sean

I tried to search for the BP Mon option (spent almost half a day!) but could not find it anywhere. Can you please elaborate where to find it? Also note that I am not using BP Mon, this is a system monitoring alert added using "Operations Setup" in DSWP. I am hoping that your BP Mon suggestion is valid for my case too.

@Volker

We already have a Business process monitoring scenario and we have the RFC with the appropriate user and auths, thanks for the tip.

Regards

Prasad

tiago_scherer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Prasad,

Have you configured a Central Monitoring System (CEN)? This includes registering the agent on the CEN, starting it and configuring the Central Auto Reactions on CEN using RZ21 transaction.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/48/05c80724d63836e10000000a42189b/frameset.htm

Regards,

Tiago

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tiago

Thank you very much for your response.

We have configured CEN for system availability monitoring where we registered a SAPCCM4X agent on the monitored system, CCMSPING agent on solman and configured RZ21. We are getting email alerts for system availability.

We want the same functionality for SM37 failed jobs. Are you saying that this too has to be configured in CEN CCMS and not in "Operations setup" in tcode DSWP? We have currently setup the bkgrnd job alerts using DSWP and we are getting alerts in the monitoring graphic. We would like to configure email triggers for these alerts as they have already been defined. Do let me know if this is not possible and we have to use the central autoreaction procedure in CEN CCMS.

Regards

Prasad

tiago_scherer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

The way that I would do is following note 553953, which explains in details how to monitore specific jobs. After that I would configure the autoreaction metohd as described on the following online help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/2c/abb2e7ff6311d194c000a0c93033f7/content.htm

And finally, assign this method to the MTE in:

RZ20

SAP CCMS Monitor Templates

Background Processing

System Wide

Background

Background Job Monitoring

<the job name>

Select the Status one and click on Properties -> Methods and assign the method I created.

Regards,

Tiago

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> @Sean

> I tried to search for the BP Mon option (spent almost half a day!) but could not find it anywhere. Can you please elaborate where to find it? Also note that I am not using BP Mon, this is a system monitoring alert added using "Operations Setup" in DSWP. I am hoping that your BP Mon suggestion is valid for my case too.

I don't know how to do it other than with BP Mon: DSWP > Solution Monitoring > Business Process Monitoring.

0 Kudos

Hello,

it is still not 100% clear which monitoring functionality you use. Is it

- System Monitoring under DSWP > Solution Monitoring > System Monitoring?

- Business Process Monitoirng under DSWP > Solution Monitoring > Business Process Monitoring?

In the first case you have to do the cumbersome maintenance per MTE in order to send out emails. In the later case (BPMon) you can easily configure the email notification within the BPMon Setup and you do not have to maintain anything in RZ20 (CCMS). For BPMon you can refer to the general Setup Guide under http://service.sap.com/bpm > Medial Library > Technical Information.

Best Regards

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker, thanks for your response.

We were trying to generate alerts using DSWP > Operations setup > Setup system monitoring.

SAP has mentioned that the above section is for "display only" and you cannot actually configure an email trigger in this section.

Unfortunately, to use BPM for this case, we need at least SPS 23. The procedure using BPM is mentioned here - https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000525622010E/Auto-reaction_Messages.pdf

Another related note is: 429265 - CCMS monitor architecture: Central auto-reaction

As we do not have the required SPS level, we have used the other method - using the SAPCCM4X agent to transfer alerts to solman and using a central autoreacation in solman to generate the emails. That's precisely Tiago's method but with the difference that Tiago has explained the method for a local autoreaction, we have adapted it for central autoreaction using CEN.

Case closed.

Regards & Thanks to all those who responded.

Prasad

0 Kudos

Hello Prasad,

this seems to be a big misunderstanding. For the simple auto-reaction reaquirements (as I understood them) you wouldn't require SP23 in BPMon. This was BPMon standard functionality already back in SolMan 3.2.

The document refering to is only mentioning new BAdI enhancements that you can enrich the existing email content, but even the standard email body would contain the info which solution, process, process step, system, background job was affected and what happened to the job (cancellation, runtime, start delay, end delay).

Very simple and availble with vey old SP levels.

Best Regards

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh I didn't know that! Blame it on SAP! I had raised an OSS message and they said SPS23 is required to use the BPM!

In fact, I just checked the OSS msg again and I do agree that SAP did not explicitly mention that SPS23 is required. However, they pointed to this document and it seemed as if this was the constraint!

This is what the consultant wrote:

The sending of these autoreaction messages can be configured directly in the BPM setup session and not in RZ20.

I have attached a link to a PDF document for you to review.

https://websmp102.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000525622010E/Auto-reaction_Messages.pdf

This document provides details on how to setup autoreaction methods

to send emails from the solution manager system, not the satellite

system.

The document went on mention this in the pre-requisites section:

The new functions for BPMon auto-reactions messages are contained in the SAP Solution Manager Enhancement Pack 1, SP23

I went through the document again, this time reading it in context of your response and I do agree that it is more about the BADi thingy, and not necessarily mentioned as a constraint!

Anyways, we have successfully implemented the functionality using RZ21, so we are no longer pursuing this case. However, I will certainly try to use BPM for future autoreactions.

Thanks for "opening my eyes"

Prasad

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Additionally to what Sean said ensure that the user in the BPM_LOCAL RFC connection comprises the role SAP_IDOC_EVERYONE as mentioned in SAP note 784752.

Best Regards

Volker