SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reference document no and automatic clearing

former_member190606
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

The desired clearing variant of my client is Current invoice + FIFO

So lets say i have 3 open invoices in customers account as follows :

Due date 22 June 2010 Amount 1000

Due date 22 July 2010 Amount 2000

Due date 22 August 2010 Amount 1500

Then a payment of 2000 should clear the 22 Aug invoice by 1500 and 500 of the 22 June invoice

To achieve this My client is invoicing customers with the billing document number as the 'reference document' no. When we recieve payments(from check lot) the payments have the reference document no of the invoice against which the payment was made(which is usually the current invoice). When payments are processed by payment lot, it clears the current invoice since it finds a matching ref doc. However, it posts a credit open for the remaining amount(500 in this case) since the ref doc of payment is different from the ref doc of any open item left. Can we prevent this? Can the system ignore the ref doc and clear items as per the clearing variant?

One solution was to use automatic clearing to clear remaining amount. However, one big problem with automatic clearing is that if you group open items by any characteristic then clearing variant treats the credit open as a separate group. So it makes different groups of credit open and of open invoices and since it cant find both of these in any single group therefore no clearing takes place.

If this question seems too complicated then please feel free to ask details. Your help would be highly appreciated

Regards,

Adil Kapadia

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you just have 1 step in your clearing variant?

Why don't you have step 1 clear by reference number and then put another step where you clear by due date? You can define in step 1 to continue in step 2 with the remaining amount.

Only problem then is that other, non-invoice open items, might be cleared.

AmlanBanerjee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adil,

You can create two clearing steps in the clearing variant-

Step-1-Give grouping string as the reference document no. and sort characteristic as 'due date" with the sort tick box checked.

Step2-Give grouping string as 1. contract account\contract and 2. Item is due and sort characteristic as 1. Due Date with deferral and 2. Main transaction and give rank as 1. In the alternative sorting give the main tranasction for Invoicing (Say, 0100)

Hope it helps....

Thanks,

Amlan

former_member190606
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear evolderen and Amlan,

Thanks for your reponses.

Now the problem is that if i put reference number in the payment then payment lot would only select those open item for clearing which have the same ref doc as the payment. So what will happen is that it will only clear the current invoice. It DOES NOT go to step 2 of clearing variant. It simply leaves a credit open.

What i would like is that the clearing variant goes to step 2 and clears items on a due date basis even if the ref doc of these open invoices do not match the ref doc of the payment

I hope i conveyed the problem properly

Regards,

Adil Kapadia

0 Kudos

Read your initial post again and now it is clear. The customer pays more than the invoice amount, which should clear older invoices as well, but refers only to the current invoice.

Payment on account with a well defined clearing strategy for account maintenance seems a good option to me then. But you've tried this already. Still think that is the way to go.

AmlanBanerjee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have two options to execute the step 2 of the clearing variant-

(a) In the clearing Step 1-End of Clearing Step section , just maintain the "payment remaining variant" as Step 2, and End of assignment is left blank.

or,

(b) In the clearing Step-1-Group Rule section, give clearing rule as 7, and create a custom FM which would do the step 2 for you. In this case, the end of assignment will be 9.

Hope it helps......

Thanks,

Amlan