SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significance of Division category and its configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eveyone,

I wanted to know the Significance of division category. If I have four divisions viz Electricity, Water, Heating and Gas, can I assign all these divisions to a single division category? What will be the impact of it?

Secondly I did not get the configuration setting for Division category.

Regards

Santosh

8 REPLIES 8

former_member215295
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

You can put electricity, gas, water everything under one division bu tthats not the best practice to be followed.

To determine the GL you will be using division , account determination for the charges to get posted.

Division 1 electricity ; Account determination residential customer will be going to GL 100000

Division 2 gas ; Account determination residential customer will be going to GL 200000 and there are lot more other things involved.

thanks,

VR

former_member190606
Participant
0 Kudos

As mentioned, it is advisable to have multiple divisions since having multiple divisions give you a lot of flexibility which you cant have if you use a single division. Following are the advantages i can think of :

1)you can assign different GLs for different divisions

2)you can assign different tax rates for different divisions

3)you can assign different dunning procedure and so late payment surcharges for different divisions

as far as division categories are concerned i think its best practice to have different divisions assigned to different division categs.

hope that helps!

Regards,

Adil Kapadia

0 Kudos

Hi Guys

Are you referring to "Division" or to "Division Category"?

I am going to create different "Divisions" for Electricity, Water, Gas and Heating.

But I want to allocate them to a single division category.

Want to know implication of it on the functionality and process.

Regards

Santosh

0 Kudos

In short answer is NO.....................

You need separate division category for different division to create device. This help you to differentiate the division and and help in maintaining master data neat and clean..

There are some rules to follow for best practice and this is one of them.

And more likely if your organization structure indicates different divison then you should have different category to follow the hierarchy as well.

GG

0 Kudos

Hi,

You can create & allocate division category to division in the below mentioned spro path

Utility --> Basic Setting --> Allocate division to division category

Its standard industry practice to create sepearte division & allocate it to seperate division category for gas , electricity & water.

Regards

Sachin

0 Kudos

Hi,

At the below mentioned spro path, we can allocate the division to a division category.

Utility --> Basic Setting --> Allocate division to division category

But do we have a IMG setting for create division category?

Regards

Santosh

0 Kudos

Santosh:

No you cannot create division categories - they are supplied by SAP. For utilities they should be fully realized. They impact many other areas of the system functionality, which is why you cannot create your own. They are defined as domain SPARTYP.

If for some reason, the supplied values are insufficient, then you should create a development request.

regards,

bill.

0 Kudos

Thanks All for the response.