cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding extended transport control

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I read about extended transport control and I get very confused.What exactly it means.

I have a 3 clients in my DEV system xx0,xx1,xx2, only one in QA and one in PRD.

Now when searched I found..

'when you release a change request in DEV Client xx0 
it will not only automatically be added to the Import Queue for QAS but also xx1,xx2 of DEV'.

We donot have extended transport configured but still I can see same number of request in the import

queue of all the 3 DEV clients.If the above is right then why is this happeing with my landscape or

have I missunderstood it?

We use Tcode SCC1 to copy client dependent request in other clients. So if an extended transport

is maintained, will that happen automatically?If not then how extended transport is useful.

Please share your ideas and help me.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If a system has more than one client and if you are releasing a request in one client of a system and want it to be automatically addedd to transport queue of all clients in the same system or all clients of target system, then extended transport management can be used. Mostly this kind of set up will be helpfull in scenarios where there are more than one client in QA and PRD systems as becase if you release a request in development system and if you are having three clients in QA systems, then you will transport the request in one client and say if you need to have the same kind of changes in other two clients also then you need to manually use SCC1 and copy the changes if extended tranport is not configured. If extended transport management is configured then once you release the request in DEV then it will get added to queue of all three clients in QUA and can be transported using STMS_IMPORT TCode. The same thing is with two to three clients in DEV systems.

If you are happy with copying the changes by using SCC1 then forget about the Extended transport management. Since your target QA and PRD are having only one clients then there is no need to worry about this untill you are comfortable with copying the changes in other two clients of DEV system using SCC1.

Hope clarified.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Plesae see below.There was some issue with my Internet connection and I posted the same mesage twice.

Hence editted this one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharath,

Thanks a lot for ttaking out your time to help me.You said

Mostly this kind of set up will be helpfull in scenarios where there are more than one 
 client in QA and PRD systems as becase if you release a request in development system and
 if you are having three clients in QA systems, then you will transport the request in one client
 and say if you need to have the same kind of changes in other two clients also then you need
 to manually use SCC1 and copy the changes if extended tranport is not configured. If extended 
 transport management is configured then once you release the request in DEV then it will get
 added to queue of all three clients in QUA and can be transported using STMS_IMPORT TCode

Thats what making me confused.

In dev we have 3 clients. We use SCC1 to copy the configuration to client xx1 and xx2 from client xx0.

My doubt is if we have an extended transport,request will show up in the import queue off all the development client.

So to have the same configuration we have to use STMS_IMPORT to import the request in xx1 and xx2 or SCC1.

If that is the case then it means there is no use of extended transport control in setup where we have multiple clients

in DEV server and only one one in Quality server and PRD server.As we will ultimately be using STMS_IMPORT (if extended

transport is configured) or SCC1(if extended transport is not configured) to import the request in xx1 and xx2 of DEV server.

Same goes for multiple clients in QA or PRD, as here also we can use STMS_IMPORT (if extended transport is configured)

or SCC1(if extended transport is not configured) to import the request among different clients.Means I have to use one tcode,

either STMS_IMPORT or SCC1, then how it is helpful?

Since your target QA and PRD are having only one clients then there is no need to worry about t
           his untill you are comfortable with copying the changes in other two clients of DEV system using SCC1.

My doubt is if extended transport control is configured can the configurational changes doen in our DEV xx0 be automatically

gets replicated in client xx1 and xx2?

Request you all to please help me with your valuable suggetsions.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think below link will help you to understand Extended Transport Control and clear your doubts..

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw/helpdata/en/1b/9dc2d6e59911d184810000e8a57770/frameset.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_bw/helpdata/en/1b/9dc2d6e59911d184810000e8a57770/frameset.htm]

(Obviously, you need to spare some time for the same...)

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede