cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages of 'Process Integration' vs a second 'AS Java' for development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings Gurus,

I am in the process of configuring a new development environment for my organization. We and our clients still rely heavily on ABAP only systems, so the ability to develop and maintain ABAP is critical. We have already installed and deployed two instances of AS ABAP for the purposes of sandbox and development for ABAP, and they serve our purposes well.

However, as we look to the future, there are also plans for J2EE applications and possibly portal development in the future as well. I would like to make our environment as future-proof as possible, and go ahead and account for the future Java development needs while we are already in transition.

My question is this: given the AS ABAP instances which are already in place, will we be better off installing a new AS Java SID, or replacing one or both of our ABAP instances with a 'Process Integration' installation ? I have heard some commentary indicating that the Java stack is not stable enough to run successfully in combination, and that two separate instances will be easier to manage. I have also looked at the possibility of installing the Java add-in on our existing ABAP instances, but I've been led to believe this is not possible with enhancement pack 4. Is this the case, or is Java add-in also a viable option ?

We're still flexible at this point, and I have the discretion to decide how to move forward. Any advice would be much appreciated.

==================================================

Details:

DB: Oracle

SAP installation: 2 x IDES Enhancement Pack 4 for SAP ERP 6.0 > AS ABAP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you mentioned about Process Integration (PI) system, these systems are used to connect legacy systems to your ERP system or for some other applications. So, PI system cannot replace ERP system. Concept of PI and ERP system is totally different.

As far as requirement of Java is concerned, the main reason why SAP has stopped dual stack system from Business Suite 7 systems is because of performance related issues in dual stack system.

So, better you should install As Java system separately with different SID so that better performance can be achieved. As you also mentioned that your ERP system is on EHP4 then it is not possible to add AS Java add-on on it.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (0)