cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Hardware Windows OS License Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I read that if the hardware changes, SAP license key will be invalid and required to a new license key.

I would like to move existing SAP system running on Windows from server A to server B. An image will be made on server A and restore on server B. So, everything will be the same as server A.

Based on SAP Note 174911, it states that "Only Windows uses a hardware key that does not depend on the hardware. A new installation of Windows definitely causes the hardware key to change."

For my case, based on the above statement, does the hardware key change?

Thank you.

regards,

zl

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, in your case since you are changing the complete hardware like from Server A to Server B, as per my knowledge the hardware key changes. You need to apply for the new license for new hardware key and the same can be verfied & confirmed after you image on Server B.

After imaging on Server B, go to SLICENSE TCode and there you can see the hardware key and it will be different from Server A. In that case, you need to apply and install the license as per the new hardware key. You can check the license details at OS level using command SAPLICENSE or SAPLIKEY.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Sharath

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If the info on the note is correct and you are using an image theres a change that the hardware key will remain the same, in anycase is really not a big deal, requesting a new license take no more than 10 mins.

Are the boxes (A & B) the same hardware wise?...

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Box B is of higher spec than Box A.

regards,

zl

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This means that there is a change in hardware and as per my knowledge there should be a change in Hardware key. Normally, hardware key will change when there is a change in hardware or reinstall the OS.

Also, I hope that image of one box can be used on other box only if they are having same hardware specs. Anyhow, you can carry on your activity and as suggested above see if there is a change in hardware key. If it changes then apply the same and install in the system which will not take much time.

Regards,

Sharath

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Box B is of higher spec than Box A.

If thats the case why don't you do a fresh windows install and a homogeneous system copy so you can configure the system to use the extra resources.

If you install an image in a box with different chipset / hardware you might find a few issues with drivers etc... I think you are better off with a fresh installation (which will require a fresh license)

Regards

Juan

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I totally agree with Juan. I used the same strategy a few times when moving from an older server to a newer one.

Is your data on a SAN?