cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPno longer requires UNIX access for Basis Admins??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone heard that there will be a version of SAP that no longer requires UNIX access for Basis Admins? This can include almost any SAP application but mainly this question pertains to the core Biz Suite 7.0 and the overall Netweaver apps, e.g., PI, BW, EP, etc...

It may be available now but want to find out if someone is really in the forefrot of using the patest and greatest SAP apps. If anyone has this where they work, can you let me know the exact SAP application and version (and SP if it applies).

Thanks.

Dave

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is all great if you don't do Kernels, filesystem modifications, brtools, execute sql commands, apply OS and DB patches, monitor external commands, troubleshoot network/hardware issues, etc...

To be honest with you I like it Old school, I rather have root access 😄

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you need access to Unix to administer SAP. for starters, how will you start/stop SAP?

but some companies will restrict commands allowed to be executed by BASIS admin. This is OK.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric: I agree with you completely. At this time, that is true. The Basis Admin needs that access. However, on my present project, there is a big concern about access to UNIX. The comment was made by someone, who is not SAP knowledgeable and just came to the company, and is in in a management position. Someone told this person, or she incorrectly heard, that there may be that possibility in the future. I'm sure that SAP is working on that but I don't see how, in the near future, that this would work. If SAP is down, how would one start it up?

So I agree with you but wondering if anyone heard that.

Thanks.

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SAP Management Console(Java Application) allows you to start/stop SAP instances running on Unix/Linux/Windows from remotely including viewing of log files, all processes etc

It can be run on startup of the Operating System - sapstartsrv process.

Accessed using http://hostname:5<sys-no>13

See [SAP Management Console|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/48/6b7c6178dc4f93e10000000a42189d/frameset.htm] for further information.

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nelis:

Thanks for that lead. That was very good information. I'm going through that now. The one item I see is that you can do all of that if it is in a Windows environment as listed below:

"When you start the SAP system with the SAP MC under Microsoft Windows, the database instance starts automatically. However, when you start the SAP system under other operating systems, the database has to be started manually. For information about starting the database, see the respective database documentation."

If SAP is installed on UNIX, the database still has to be started manually at the OS level before the SAP instance can be started. That's OK. So starting/stopping/restarting works for SAP on Windows but, for UNIX, the DB needs to be started up first at the OS level. That's what I interpret from that information

Again, the info was very good and I apprecaite it. I'll keep this marked as a favorite in my browser for future needs.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If SAP is installed on UNIX, the database still has to be started manually at the OS level before the SAP instance can be started. That's OK. So starting/stopping/restarting works for SAP on Windows but, for UNIX, the DB needs to be started up first at the OS level. That's what I interpret from that information

You can write a simple script and put that into the startup routine of your operating system to enable an automatic database and SAP-System start.

Markus