cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concept behind ewa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gurus,

I am trying hard to understand the concepts behind ewa( I started working on solman recently)

ewa was already configured in our landscape

I could see /bdl/task* jobs triggering in managed system when I create maintenance task in sdccn. what does these jobs do? Also I could also see /bdl/task* jobs running in solution manager also, I am not sure what these jobs would do...

I am really confused how the ewa data goes from managed system to solman(which bck job does what?)

Kindly throw some light though my questions looks silly to many

BR,

Vardha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The /bdl/task* jobs run on satelete and solman because solman is a satelite too!

Of course you can see main cert via slicense on satelite. It is a new style license so you need to find and press button for new style licenses...

There is also a page under (I think on System Landscape) a workcenter that shows distribution of maint cert results landscape wide. This can be useful when you change ST-PI level on satellite (as this in the past has broken main dist scheme).

Ken

mateus_pedroso
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

For further details please, check the documentations here.

http://service.sap.com/ewa => Media Library

http://service.sap.com/ewa => FAQs

Questions

Getting Started

1. What is the SAP EarlyWatch Alert?

2. What are the benefits using the EWA?

3. Is the SAP EarlyWatch Alert free of charge?

4. What is difference between the SAP EarlyWatch Alert and SAP EarlyWatch Check?

5. Is the SAP EarlyWatch Alert a prerequisite for further SAP services?

6. Which customers are eligible for the SAP EarlyWatch Alert?

7. For which SAP products is the EarlyWatch Alert available?

8. Which SAP Notes must be implemented for the SAP EarlyWatch Alert?

9. Does the application of the SAP EarlyWatch Alert have to be registered?

10. Where can the customer find the reports after evaluation?

11. How can the SAP EarlyWatch Alert be used for SAP environments with very strict rules regarding information security?

12. On Monday morning the EarlyWatch Alert seems to have been processed, but no rating (traffic light) is shown in the session overview (in transaction solution_manager). Why does the rating only appear when I log on the next day?

Contents of the EarlyWatch Alert

13. Where can I get information on how to interpret information in a report?

14. What is the exact definition of Active users as per EarlyWatch Alert report?

15. In the new SAP Early Watch Alert Report some data are only shown in a graphical display which were formerly available as numerical data. Where can I find the numerical values?

16. Which rules does the EarlyWatch Alert apply to non-productive systems?

17. Why are on the cover page of the EarlyWatch Alert Report the customer number and customer information empty?

18. Why does the EarlyWatch Alert reports sometimes contains data of a wrong system with other service and no user activity?

19. Why are there differences between the EarlyWatch Alert Report as created in our Solution Manager and the EarlyWatch Alert Report created at SAP (available on the Support Portal)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The "Maintenance Package" is a daily job. If you check its logs, you can see that it is used to send requests for new maintenance certificates (which are only valid for three months) to Solution Manager, and after the certificate has been obtained (a day later), it will retrieve it from Solution Manager and install it. Strictly speaking, it isn't part of Early Watch.

The data is pushed to Solution Manager by the task, "EarlyWatch Alert for Solution Manager" which has a default "Task time" of 04:00, on the "To Do" list. But that's just a nominal time, because the log for that task (under the "Done" tab) shows it runs hourly, but not necessarily on the hour. Under the "Task log" tab, we see that the actual push is done by the report /BDL/TASK_SCHEDULER, which runs hourly (SM37 shows that it's job /BDL/TASK_PROCESSOR). It sends the data the first time it runs after 04:00.

SM:EXEC SERVICES runs daily on the Solution Manager system. It sends the EWA data for the satellite systems to SAP, and receives the reports. It will also fetch licenses from SAP.

Regards,

Sean

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sean,

Thanks a lot.. I understood a great deal....

I have already gone through logs and it was bit confusing to understand... I was more confused to see maintenance package, ewa for solman schedule in solution manager also.........

And one more query, can we see the maintenance certificate thus installed using "Maintenance Package" job in slicense....

BR

Vardha

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> And one more query, can we see the maintenance certificate thus installed using "Maintenance Package" job in slicense....

I do not think that you can see this certificate in slicense. Execute the transaction SAINT. If you have installed this certificate, you can see a message left bottom of your screen that 'A valid maintenance certificate found for system XXX'.

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajeev,

I am aware of maintenance certificates but I was not aware that Maintenance package installs in automatically.

I have installed the maint cert manully once before using sdccn....in this way we can see the cert in slicense.

I request to provide me document links to learn how exactly ewa works looking at logs I am unable to make anything much, I got docs from smp and they explained how ewa is useful to project and stuff...

I want to be cleared with ewa technically before start working on it.

BR

Vardha

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vardha,

I got your requirement. But I dont think I have any relvevant document which you need. sorry for that.

You may check this link, may be of some help:

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000574752008.

"The task Maintenance Package runs daily in the managed systems, in the Service Data Control Center (transaction SDCCN). It gets the maintenance certificate from the SAP Solution Manager by RFC."

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is some more information on Early Watch:

- [How to Generate EWAs form Satellite Systems|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0f35bf3-14a3-2910-abb8-89a7a294cedb] (SDN blog)

- SAP Note:1257308 FAQ: Using EarlyWatch Alert

- SAP Note:207223 SAP EarlyWatch Alert processed at SAP

- SAP Note:781680 Complete Replacement of Service Definitions for SDCC/SDCCN

- SAP Note:727998 SDCC/SDCCN - Problems with function modules

- SAP Note:91488 SAP Support Services - Central preparatory note

- SAP Note:128447 - Trusted/trusting systems (explains the error codes)

- SAP Note:1167901 - Trusted-Trusting instead of destination with password

Regards,

Sean