cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Universe Not Showing in Deski

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are just upgrading from 6.1B to XI R2. In 6.1B we used 2 versions of the same universe one pointing to Test and another to Prod. The way XI is being released we are using the same universe name in both environments just using different servers. However I have old reports pointing to the Test universe that has not been migrated and I would like to be able to modify the universe in reporter. Reporter will not let me modify because it can't find the Test universe.

In Designer 6.1B there was a way to create a local universe without exporting it to the repository is there a way in XI to do the same? Whatever folder I save it to I cannot find it in my list of Universes in reporter.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SMBRAA,

Wow, you must be on a really old version. And you are upgrading to pretty much a really old version!

I am not familiar with anything called "Reporter". Is that an old tool in Business Objects, or is it just lost in translation?

In XI R2 and R3, you should be able to simply do a "save" of the Universe (not a "save as"!), and it will save it to your local folder on your computer. This would be under - if I remember correctly:

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\Business Objects\Business Objects 11.5\Universes

Be very careful, and be sure you have a backup of your good Universe before doing any of this. Designer always saves a local copy of the Universe when you import it. But make sure you don't export the old local copy back to the repository! It must be the latest modified copy, and again, be sure you have a backup of the previous version always.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry what I meant by reporter is Deski (desktop intelligence). I am familiar on saving the universe as well as importing. My question is if you create a new universe or modify an old one in 6.1b you were able to test that universe using the deski. It gave you choices of which universe the one in the repository or the local one on your machine. I don't see that happening with the XI R2 deski. Either that option is no longer available or I am doing something wrong. Again I don't want to export to the repository first of all I don't have that authority and I must go through a whole turnover process just to test the newer version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again SMBRAA,

You are correct in that there is not a choice as to whether to save to the repository or to the local machine. At least not one that would be obvious to someone who has not used the tool for a while.

Here is my understanding:

When you do a "Save" to a Universe, it will simply save in your local folder on your computer.

When you do a "Save As" It will save as a new copy/version with a new CUID of the Universe to whatever location you specify. So you will not be able to use it for existing reports, unless you re-point all reports to this new copy of your universe.

You probably don't want to do that.

Only an "Export" of a universe will place your new version of the Universe from your hard drive into the Repository (meaning same CUID and existing reports will recognize it), and you better be sure it is the latest and greatest, and that you have a backup of the previous one in case something is not right.

Also be sure you export the Universe to the correct folder where the reports are pointing to in the repository (should be fairly obvious), or this could screw things up a bit.

Thanks!

Sorry what I meant by reporter is Deski (desktop intelligence). I am familiar on saving the universe as well as importing. My question is if you create a new universe or modify an old one in 6.1b you were able to test that universe using the deski. It gave you choices of which universe the one in the repository or the local one on your machine. I don't see that happening with the XI R2 deski. Either that option is no longer available or I am doing something wrong. Again I don't want to export to the repository first of all I don't have that authority and I must go through a whole turnover process just to test the newer version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure you save the universe in the proper folder, else Deski won't see it. Also, if you have already logged in to Deski before creating the new universe, you now have to log out and log back in again. Frustrating, as it did not work that way before. It seems that it creates a cache of the list of universes when you log in with the newer versions. Anyway, please try that and see if that solves your issue.

Answers (0)