cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Times Out only on Dialog Application Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

We are on ECC 6. We have a Central Instance and a Dialog Instance (both on AIX 5.3). When the endusers run S_ALR_87009788 (program RFRRBIL1), which can not be run as a background job, on the Central Instance it runs to completion in about 10 minutes. When they run the same report, with the same variant, on the Dialog Instance it times out in the SAPLGSAC program within the Include program LGSACF01.

I've checked and rechecked parameters on both servers and they match. CPU, memory and swap match as well.

To add to this, the report runs in 2 minutes on our ECQ system.

What else should I look at?

Thanks!

Margaret

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If it's network it should effect other programs as well.

Have you checked in ST03N and compared response times, CPU, wait times etc for both systems ?

Nelis

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What else should I look at?

You have a dedicaded high-speed network connection between your application and database servers?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

Thanks for replying.

No, we do not have dedicated high-speed network connections between the application servers and the database server.

Thanks,

Margaret

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> No, we do not have dedicated high-speed network connections between the application servers and the database server.

This explains why you can execute the program on the database server directly but not on the application server.

Most likely you have a 100 MBit connection, all other traffic is also going through that interface. So the application server must read all data from the database server, transfer it over the network to the application server and from there it has to be transmitted again to the client.

It's highly advised to not use the normal network interface for communication between app server and database but a dedicated network infrastructure to keep latencies low and to allow almost the same speed.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

Again, thanks for replying!

Both App servers are separate from the database server, so shouldn't both servers have the same issue?

FYI - I figured out the slow down for both servers. It's an authorization issue with K_CCA and K_PCA. As long as we only curtail one of those, the report runs in under 2 mins. If we curtail both it runs in over 10 minutes.

This is affecting other reports.