cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest version of Content Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I need some assitance in understanding what the latest version of the Content Server is. I know 640 is probably the one, but what confuses me is the content Server Service on SICF on the ERP system for example. Now, does that mean the content server is integrated to the system or do we still need to install a stand alone Content Server. What other way can we implment DMS without the use of the content server, i.e. can the portal knowlege Management achieve the same? if so, what are the prerequisites and pros and cons?

Thanks

Ronny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Response to your second question: Portal Knowledge Management is a stripped down version of DMS. It provides basic content management features with embedded asynchronous and synchronous collaboration(review,rating,feedback,discussion etc).

SAP DMS (with content,cache server setup) typically cater to a long term Document Management strategy involving designs, drawings, technical specifications etc with rich features like Markup and redlining,Document life cycle definition, Distribution strategies, Digital signature, SAP R/3 Object linking,CAD integration etc. The storage options in SAP DMS are:

1. 'DMS Storage' option(may store in SAP DB,Vault,RFC Archive), you can store upto 2 originals/documents and 99 additional files.

2. 'kPro Storage' option(may store in SAP DB,HTTP Content Server), you can store 'n' originals/documents and 'n' additional files

NOTE:

HTTP content server

Either the SAP Content Server or a third-party content server can be used.

SAP database

If you want to store your documents in the SAP database, you need a content table. All your documents are stored in this table in the SAP database. The content table can be cross-client or client-specific.

RFC storage system

RFC is used for storing documents in the context of SAP ArchiveLink, the Archive Development Kit (ADK), or an application that uses SAP ArchiveLink or the ADK.

Logical repositoryThis storage type allows access to different physical repositories, independently of the client and the system ID.

Structure repositoryThe structure repository is only used in the SAP Knowledge Warehouse environment.

The content server is available for free on SAP marketplace for exisiting SAP customers. This needs to be setup on a separate hardware(specifications can be arrived at after contentserver sizing). The storage limit using content server can be scaled upto 50+ terabytes of data.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

newmy
Explorer
0 Kudos

a good starting point for contentserver is: [http://service.sap.com/contentserver|http://service.sap.com/contentserver].

Some of the answers to your questions can be found in the FAQs.