Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sap db restoration query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends

I have a query regarding restoration.

We have ECC 5.0 on Oracle 9i and AIX platform. We have 3 p-series machines p520,p550 & p570. we have hosted DEV & QAS on p520 machine and our PRD is hosted on p550 & p570 with HACMP.

Now we maintain daily offline backups but we dont have a test system to carry out test for restoration & recovery. So i was wondering what could be appropriate way to test the restore & recovery in my scenario without a need of a separate test machine. I was thinking of doing a simple test with my QAS db but just cant come up with a safe way.so i need your advice.

We cant afford a test machine for another 6 months at least and we are planning to schedule a support package stack update in a month so i need to test the restoration process just for my assurance.

Please advice.

Regards

Nat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We have ECC 5.0 on Oracle 9i and AIX platform. We have 3 p-series machines p520,p550 & p570. we have hosted DEV & QAS on p520 machine and our PRD is hosted on p550 & p570 with HACMP.

Oracle 9? That's out of support...

> Now we maintain daily offline backups but we dont have a test system to carry out test for restoration & recovery. So i was wondering what could be appropriate way to test the restore & recovery in my scenario without a need of a separate test machine. I was thinking of doing a simple test with my QAS db but just cant come up with a safe way.so i need your advice.

Hm... depends on what you would like to test.

If you're happy to know that you can get back the data from your backup medium, then you may simply run the brrestore verify option (-w use_dbv) might be sufficient. This will restore data file by data file to the compress_dir and run a DBV on it.

> We cant afford a test machine for another 6 months at least and we are planning to schedule a support package stack update in a month so i need to test the restoration process just for my assurance.

Why don't you just restore e.g. the current PRD machine backup to the DEV machine?

Even if they share the same SID, you may rename the SAPDATA folder of DEV during the test, restore and recover the instance from the backup, run your checks against it and once you're done, simply delete the restored data and revert back the DEV sapdata folder.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi lars

many thanks for your advice and help.

i think i might go with your 3rd option but will try with my QAS db.

thanks again for your help.

Regards

Nat

Answers (0)