cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Form output cropped when sent directly from SAP to printer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have created an Adobe Form (not interactive) that looks perfectly OK when previewed in Adobe Acrobat viewer but when printed blank margins of 4-5 millimeters are applied on all 4 paper edges. The form was designed with a coloured frame around it but the margins effectively remove most of the frame. The form content is being cropped instead of being compressed inside the margins.

The form has been created with LiveCycle Designer via SAP transaction SFP. I am generating the form from an ABAP program

When the form is printed from the Adobe Acrobat viewer I have the option to set Page Scaling to 'Fit to Printable Area'. This makes the form content being compressed inside the blank margins and the coloured frame remains intact. If I leave the Page Scaling setting as 'None' the output is being cropped as described above.

The real problem occurs when I want to print without previewing first. I need to do that since previewing enables the user to skip printing and the application must know if the form has been printed or not. I have so far found no way to make the printer print on the paper edges or fit the content to printable area. Is there some setting in the output parameters than handles this?

Also there is a need for duplex printing when sending form directly to printer. On help.sap.com there is information about duplex print for SAPscript and Smartforms but nothing for Adobe Forms.

Here is an excerpt of the ABAP code used for printing the Adobe Form:

DATA: zs_outparams TYPE sfpoutputparams,

z_fmname TYPE rs38l_fnam.

• Set some print parameters

zs_outparams-nodialog = abap_true. "No user dialog

zs_outparams-device = 'PRINTER'. "Output device

zs_outparams-dest = z_pdest. "Printer name

zs_outparams-reqnew = abap_true. "New spool request

zs_outparams-reqimm = abap_true. "Print immediately

• Open print job

CALL FUNCTION 'FP_JOB_OPEN'

CHANGING

ie_outputparams = zs_outparams

EXCEPTIONS

cancel = 1

usage_error = 2

system_error = 3

internal_error = 4

OTHERS = 5.

IF sy-subrc <> 0.

RAISE print_error.

ENDIF.

• Get FM name for form

CALL FUNCTION 'FP_FUNCTION_MODULE_NAME'

EXPORTING

i_name = 'Z_TEST_FORM'

IMPORTING

e_funcname = z_fmname.

• Call FM to print form

CALL FUNCTION z_fmname

EXPORTING

i_header = t_data_for_form

EXCEPTIONS

usage_error = 1

system_error = 2

internal_error = 3

OTHERS = 4.

IF sy-subrc <> 0.

RAISE print_error.

ENDIF.

• Close print job

CALL FUNCTION 'FP_JOB_CLOSE'

EXCEPTIONS

usage_error = 1

system_error = 2

internal_error = 3

OTHERS = 4.

IF sy-subrc <> 0.

"Ignore

ENDIF.

Please advise on how to

- avoid the content cropping

- enable duplex print

when sending Adobe forms directly to the printer

Thanks very much!

Bernt Evensen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

For your first problem,You need to adjust your form design in Tcd:SFP.

You have to increase the border width of your content are to be inseide the printable area of

your printer.But the detail setting depends on the printer you are using.You need to check the
capability of your printer and adjust your template accordingly.

Best Regards

Jie Bai

jie
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Bernt,

Will you use the sappdfprint to print your ADS form?If yes,Pls check the note 1777740 which
enables you to print the ADS form as duplex.

Best Regards

Jie Bai

former_member272911
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Can you check the printer layout setting of the printer which is used for prinitng.

Thanks

kamath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer, Ramachandra!

However I need some more specific information to solve this.

Which printer layout settings are relevant for the handling of margins and duplex printing for Adobe Forms?

I have not set up the printer myself but when talking to the printer guy which settings should I recommend him to look at?

I can see in transaction SPAD that there are settings specific to SmartForms but there is nothing said about Adobe Forms. Is there some way to make Adobe Forms related setting appear in SPAD for a device type?

Maybe my problem is not related to the printer device settings but rather to the way the printer is being called. When printing duplex we will have to override the default settings of the printer anyway.

Function module FP_JOB_OPEN has a parameter structure of the type SFPOUTPUTPARAMS. Which fields in this parameter structure are to be manipulated to get duplex print and output fitted to page size?

former_member272911
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I can suggest you only on the image cropping and not on printer because I have not sure whethere ther will be specific printer for printing abobe forms in sap.

Thanks

Kamath

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, let's do the image cropping then!

Which settings in SPAD controls the cropping?

former_member272911
Participant
0 Kudos

If the image size is more than the layout setting(A3 or A4 size) of a particular printer then the full image won't come properly.

Better idea is reduce the image size and then upload it back and use the same

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Adobe Form was defined with page size = A4 in the Adobe Livecycle designer.

Looks like the problem is the image is not resized to fit the printable area for for particular printer. If the printer allowed printing on the paper edges I guess there would not have been any problem with the fitting. Many ink-jet printers allow printing on edges but obviously not laser printers, at least not ours.

There is a setting for fitting output to printable area when printing from Adobe Acrobat viewer and this setting should definitely be available also when sending the form directly to the printer. Does anyone know if SAP has allowed for that setting in printer device drivers?

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having the same question too. Does SAP allow us to print 'to printable area' the same way we would print outside SAP. Outside SAP when we print any adobe form it gets scaled to 'fit to printable area' by default. But when printing via spool, the printout comes without any scaling.

Thanks,

Mayur Raicar

0 Kudos

Hello Mayur,

Did you find a solution for this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo All,

I am facing the same problem.  Anybody find the solution for this issue.