cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solman SMD setup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have upgraded our solman 7.0 to EHP1, we did not make use of solman functionality so decided to bring in various functionalities like E2E, wily, RCA etc.,

Being naive to this area I am in need of clarifications to my doubts...

1. Does SOLMAN_SETUP would install, setup everything I need to run E2E, wily, RCA?

2. Does SOLMAN_SETUP covers all the steps which can be done from http://<>:<>/smd/admin or both are different?

3. is SMD and RCA both same

Finally we want to implement wily, RCA from our very fresh Solman in our landscape.

Kindly put me in right track to accomplish my work. Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Brahmeshwar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

SMD agent need to install on satellite systems like ECC, BI, PI, EP etc (single or dual stack) and configure agents on solman system.. Once you configure those agents, you would be able to configure the RCA through workcenter and below are the benefits of using solution manager with latest EHP installation.. Wily is a add-on tool and better to install on seperate machine and configure on solman

SMD is used to carry out centralized analysis and monitoring of the SAP Netweaver system landscape. It helps to simplify the task associated with root cause analysis.

Architecturally, the SMD is made up of four (4) main components namely:

• SAP Web AS ABAP

• SAP Web AS Java

• Willy Introscope: Used for performance analysis and optimization. The server component is called introscope enterprise server while the client is called introscope agent.

The capabilities of SMD includes:

Central log viewer

Central display of configuration data

HTTP analysis

Single activity trace

Java thread dump

Database monitoring

OS monitoring

CCMS monitoring

Statistics data monitoring

Software changes documentation

Load test with mercury load runner (used for unit, regression testing)

CCMS monitoring

Performance Optimization

Thanks

Suresh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please read and understand about the following terms.

1.Wily Enterprise manager (on solution manager or standalone)

2.SMD agent / Diagnostic agent (managed and managing systems)

3.Host agent ( managing system ) installed from OS level commands to get the OS level details

4. Wily Introscope java agent using smd (managing system)

Install all these above agents and run the SOLMAN_SETUP transaction and finish the Basic and managed system configuration tabs.

Then your E2E/RCA set up will be completed successfully.

Regards,

Raghunath sagar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies... I got some idea how to proceed...

Thanks again

Regards,

Brahmeshwar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me clarify one thing, RCA is umbrella and E2E comes under that umbrella

Within RCA you can perform following tasks

1> End to End analysis

2> System Analysis

3> Host Analysis

4> Database Analysis

Each of the above component have different subcomponets

1. Does SOLMAN_SETUP would install, setup everything I need to run E2E, wily, RCA?

-: No, if you do not know what all things to configure then SOLMAN_SETUP is best approach. SOLMAN_SETUP will redirect you to different place where you have to setup/configure all things

2. Does SOLMAN_SETUP covers all the steps which can be done from http://:/smd/admin or both are different?

-: No, if you go through SOLMAN_SETUP for some of the configuration you will find system is redirecting you to http://../smd/admin

3. is SMD and RCA both same

-: To achive RCA you need to install SMD agents on satellite system.

One of the advantage of SOLMAN_SETUP is it will provide you detailed documentation of what things to configure and how to do it.

Hope this helps you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suresh/Amit,

Thanks for your replies.

So from your posts I understood that

1. I need to install SMD agents in child systems

2. Then, configure SMD in solman and run solman_setup whoch would direct me to all the necessary steps

Pls correct me if I am wrong ..

Thanks again

Regards,

BRahmeshwar