Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mdm monitoring

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have done some changes to my reocrds in DM.

Is there any option or log that is avaialble that describes the changes that are done to every data in DM and which specifies who have done it??

In the same way for import manger(who imported, what file name,when, etc ), syndicator and publisher.

In cosole i can see a option (LOGS)at the end of all repositories.

it shows the changes that we do to repositories at console level is then anyother ??

Please also let me know where do we chk all these when we are actually working in a project (frequent areas).

Thanks for reading the post.

Thanks & Regards

Eva M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva

For finding out the changes and tracking them MDM provides change tracking feature which can be enabled in console at table and field level. This is available in Admin node under change tracking.

Subsequently the changes/change tracking can be viewed via deploying the change tracker application in an Iview, please go through the link for details-

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/45/e518fb21cf4ebce10000000a11466f/content.htm

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/807861ac-f941-2c10-8f8d-c57f9d421...

Similarly for import and Syndication we have MDIS and MDSS logs which store useful information on the files imported/syndicated and reasons for failure if any. Also if you are using ports for import the files which has been imported succesfully can be viewed in the archive folder. The exception files are moved to Exception folder.

Hope this helps-Ravi

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

Just to re-confirm.

Console changes and actions - can be monitered by Change tracking(its an application)

DM, Import manager and syndicator changes and actions - At server level there will be a folder with repository name, and there you will find log folder, under this you will have log file (in xml format)..

confused, it is difficult to read xml, isnt there a txt file .. is this the only one??

Thanks & Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

You need to understand that there are two types of logs:

Server Logs: Shows details about all the operations which are performed on the server like system level (startup/ shutdown), major operations (update, create slave), SQL errors (if enabled), performance timers etc. Various logs come under this.

Audit Logs: Logs for logon attempts on the MDM Server.

Assertion Logs: Logs for all errors on the MDM Server.

Server Logs: Logs for all actions on the MDM Server.

Schema Export Log: Give details about exporting of schema like when export was started and when it was finished.

Schema Import Log: Gives details about schema import

Repository Logs: These show all the activities performed on the repository such as loading, unloading, backing up etc. Following Logs come under this category:

Load Logs: Give details about loading of a repository.

Archive Logs: Provides information like name of the repository of which archive is taken, version of the MDM Server, name of the server, time at which archive is taken etc

Unarchive Log: Similarly when we will Unarchive it, a log file is generated again containing the name of the new repository created, time etc

Workflow Log: Gives details like no of launched/ unlaunched jobs in our workflow, what error has occurred in workflow

Export Log: Gives details about syndication process

For more details please refer,

Server Logs: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00e840c2-a534-2b10-e5b6-f966218b6...

Repository Logs: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30a09f27-a33f-2b10-d788-d83d790d4...

Console changes and actions - can be monitered by Change tracking(its an application)

No, If Change Tracking is enabled It tells that Whenever a record changes, same information one can get in underlying database table A2i_CM_History where he can find previous record field and updated new field values.

For more details, please refer /people/balas.gorla/blog/2006/09/08/change-tracking-in-mdm

Hope it helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

so all the log files that you mentioned are in Server folder??

and all these are in xml format??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

You can find the files e.g C:\usr\sap\MDM\MDS\log , C:\usr\sap\MDM\MDS\mdm\reports.

You can also check these log files information using MDM Console.

Login to MDM Console>Mount MDM server>Just your MDM Server you will fine Repositories and below it Logs which is nothing but server logs. Click on it you will find information in right hand side in Logs Pane and Log Details Pane.

Similarly, Once you lo-gin to Repository>Navigate to Admin>then to Reports, in right hand side you can find Reports Pane and Reports detail pane.

so all the log files that you mentioned are in Server folder??

As per my understanding Yes, you will find logs under C:\usr\sap\MDM\MDS\...

But apart from MDS, you can also find logs for Import Server and Syndication Server as

C:\usr\sap\MDM\MDIS\log

C:\usr\sap\MDM\MDSS\log

and all these are in xml format??

No, you will find files with .csv format.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Regarding the change tracking, i have gone through the below blog.

/people/balas.gorla/blog/2006/09/08/change-tracking-in-mdm

it says how to access the history table to retrive the required information.

Is this the change tracking application??

i came to know that

Configure the MDM Change Tracker application depending on which of the following use cases you require:

○ As a stand­alone application

For more information, see Running the Change Tracker in Stand-Alone Mode

○ Integrated into the Web tab of the MDM Data Manager

For more information, see Accessing a Change Tracker in the Web Tab of the Data Manager

○ As an iView on a portal page in conjunction with:

■ Standard MDMiViews

■ Custom developed iViews

For more information, see Configuring the Change Tracker as an iView

○ As a used component in a wrapper application in conjunction with a Web Dynpro Result Set component.

For more information, see How to Consume MDM Web Dynpro Components, located on SAP Community Network at ® How-to Guides ® SAP NetWeaver MDM 7.1.

In the blog i dont feel that i used a change tracking application which is either a Change Tracker in Stand-Alone Mode or Web Tab of the Data Manager or Change Tracker as an iView!!!

Then what is it!!

So, does this mean that this blog did not give any information about change tracking application??

Please clarify my confusion!!!

Kind Regards

Eva

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Can anyone reply to my above query..

Kind Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

So, does this mean that this blog did not give any information about change tracking application??

This blog tells /people/balas.gorla/blog/2006/09/08/change-tracking-in-mdm

that if you make changes to any field then its previous and recent values maintained in Database table A2i_CM_History.

So either this changes you can see into Database level as shown in blog or as a convenient way can bring this information to end user in the form of Portal application after creating i-views etc. This Portal appication also fetch this change tracking information from your database table.

Carefully evaluate data in figure 5 and figure 9 before making any changes in field.

Now carefully evaluate the figure 10 where you updated fields information for example Account Group 0001 to 0005 etc.

Now carefully see figure 11 in that table please see carefully table with column name New value and Old Value.

0005 to 0001, you can also know when ths things happen using Event Time etc 11.52 earlier 11.44.

Kindly revert if you still have any issues.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi eva,

You can check more detailed and step by step description change tracker application on this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/49/a42bce34de1b93e10000000a42189b/frameset.htm

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

To conclude, the change tracking applications such as

1)stand­alone application

2)Web tab of the MDM Data Manager

3)iView on a portal page

will give the "same" information as mentined in the blog ( /people/balas.gorla/blog/2006/09/08/change-tracking-in-mdm

).

But here we can see at DB level and in the applications above we can see with a UI.

Please confirm.

Kind Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva ,

Yes u r right.

it is just different ways to see the DB information.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

But here we can see at DB level and in the applications above we can see with a UI.

As i suggested above, your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

in MDM console logs will give you an information abt repository activity if you want to find out all Data Manager, Import Manager activity u can find log details at server level that is under MDS Server than select respective respository folder and log folder

under log folder u can find log file in XML format

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

former_member182007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Along with the above links as suggessted , just for your basic understanding

It is a Type of System table in MDM. Allows you to specify the Fields for which adds, modifies, and deletes should be tracked and Stored in the Change Tracking table. Change Tracking records consist of a predefined set of fields and are not Directly visible in the MDM Console or MDM Client. Each record store Change information for a particular field that is being tracked.

You can only change the settings for the Change Tracking Table for an MDM repository that is mounted and unloaded.

be careful when deleting a remote system, which will Remove all key mappings and change tracking for that remote system.

Adding back the remote system later will not restore the key mappings And will require them to be created again. It will also cause the first Syndication to export all records rather than just the records that have Changed since the previous syndication.

The Change Tracker is an application which provides a convenient UI for displaying and viewing changes as stored in the MDM Change History database. The Change Tracker application connects to the database via a JDBC connection.

MDM can track changes on tables and fields. The level of change tracking, and which tables/fields to track, is Console. MDM opens a new database on the same database engine as the MDM repository and configurable in the MDM writes all change records to this database

Hope this help.

Deep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Please lok into this thread

Thanks,

Sudhanshu