cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman 7.0 stage upgrade guidance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP experts

The SOLMAN server running in our surrent system is of stack 14 .

In order to enable multiple extended functions (service desk, EWA report etc) on this server,

we are planning an ugrade to stack 17, then from 17 to Ehp1.

We understand we may just download the files from "sp-stacks".

However, upon checking the site, we found no "guidance notes" or upgrade instructions at all.

Checking the other entries in the forum, we got some info on Note 1169247.

Just wondering where else we can get a complete info/guidance on he mentioned process?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Add to download basket on market place

if some downloads requires approval, then you many need to login into solution manager -> Tcode Solution_manager>select a solution --> change management --> Maintanance Optimizer

Here the steps

1. Assign S-User

Transaction: AISUSER

Enter you user id and your SUSER ID for downloading

Create another SAPOSS Connection called SAP-OSS with S-User assigned

2. Call SOLUTION_MANAGER

Select Solution Overview

Select the solution you want to work with

Select u2013 Change Management u2013 Support Package Stacks

Click Maintenance Optimizer around middle of screen

Select the solution you want to get Spu2019s

3. Go to OSS and add the files to download basket

When done return to screen and hit continue

Select - Confirm files in Download Basket

Former Member
0 Kudos

Those are very helpful info, thanks.

Just another layman question.

My current SPAM version is 7.00/0029 yet the latest is 39 after checking out at the Market Place.

From my previous experience applying ST-PI and ST-A/PI, we are required to update the SPAM to the latest version as prerequisite. Just wondering do I need to carry out the same (update the SPAM version to the latest) before implementing the update to SPS17?

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, it is always recommened by SAP to use the latest SPAM/SAINT version before you proceed with any SPS upgrade. Also there is a known issue in the in phase IMPORT_OBJECT_LIST when you use version 29 for SPS17.

Please check Note 822379 - Known problems with Support Packages in SAP NW 7.0x AS ABAP.

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the advise & info I collected, I will do the following:

-Update Solman to SPS17

-Upgrade to Kernel 7.01

-Implement corrections on Note 1169247

-Upgrade Solman to EHP1 SPS 24

-> Jave Stack via JSPM

->Update Kernel via JSPM

->ABAP Stack via SAINT

However, I still have a lot of unanswered doubts which I hope to get some clear answer on:

1) Since it is recommended to utilize the latest version of SPAM?SAINT, so before update to SPS17, I should first implement the SPAM update to version 700/0039 (latest) , shouldnt I?

2)Upon checking the・Note 822379, I came across this statement : Basis Support Packages may also require SAP kernels with a minimum patch level. Currently, the following interdependencies exist: SAPKB70014: Kernel 7.00, patch number 133. I believe upon applying SPS17, the Basis SP would be SAPKB70016 but my current Kernel 700 is merely of patch number 075 (which is way too low). So, does this mean I have to upgrade the patch of the Kernel beforehand?

Does it go ->

1)SPAM?SAINT update

2)Kernel Patch update

3)Update Solman to SPS 17

and so on ????

Also, if this is correct, when I apply the patch for Kernel 700, can I choose the current highest patch level (254) straight away? Or can I save the trouble by directly applying Kernel 7.01 even before I apply SPS17?

Your help is very much appreciated!!!

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

hi,

> 1) Since it is recommended to utilize the latest version of SPAM?SAINT, so before update to SPS17, I should first implement the SPAM update to version 700/0039 (latest) , shouldnt I?

Yes

>

> 2)Upon checking the・Note 822379, I came across this statement : Basis Support Packages may also require SAP kernels with a minimum patch level. Currently, the following interdependencies exist: SAPKB70014: Kernel 7.00, patch number 133. I believe upon applying SPS17, the Basis SP would be SAPKB70016 but my current Kernel 700 is merely of patch number 075 (which is way too low). So, does this mean I have to upgrade the patch of the Kernel beforehand?

Yes

> Does it go ->

> 1)SPAM?SAINT update

> 2)Kernel Patch update

> 3)Update Solman to SPS 17

> and so on ????

Correct.

> Also, if this is correct, when I apply the patch for Kernel 700, can I choose the current highest patch level (254) straight away? Or can I save the trouble by directly applying Kernel 7.01 even before I apply SPS17?

>

I think there wont be any problem by applying 7.01 to SPS17. But I can't confirm this untill we do a testing in Sandbox. Before you do anything with kernel, please do take a back up.

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Rajeev!

I will start the preparation for these steps now.

Please allow me to post for questions again if I have any in the near future

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You are always welcome .. Best of luck with your upgrade activities..

Rajeev

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you follow the Guide mentioned in the note 1169247.

We cannot get a better EHP1 upgrade guide than the one provided in this note.

Feel free to revert back.

-=-Ragu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ragu

As I am still very new in SAP, I find this note have something not self-explained.

1)So according to this note, it is necessary to upgrade Solman with a 2 steps process? First upgrade to SPS 17, then only to Ehp1? And these 2 steps are using different methods? Do I need to work on the configuration after the SPS 17 upgarde before proceeding to Ehp1 upgrade?

2)For this EHP1 upgrade, we have to upgrade not only the ABAP system but also JAva environement with JSPM?

and etc.

I got very confused even after reading all the related document (maybe because my foundation is not that strong too)

Therefore, I hope I would get some guidance here on the whole picture of how should I proceed so that I have som lead o what to do.

Thanks a lot.

RajeevP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> 1)So according to this note, it is necessary to upgrade Solman with a 2 steps process? First upgrade to SPS 17, then only to Ehp1? And these 2 steps are using different methods? Do I need to work on the configuration after the SPS 17 upgarde before proceeding to Ehp1 upgrade?

>

Yes, you need to update first to SPS17 and then from SPS17 to the desired level. They are not exactly using different methods. But the usage of SPAM varies. The best recommended way will be updating your system to SPS17 using SPAM queue (multiple) and from there using the xml genereated via maintenance optimizer. Check the Note 1244225 - Solution Manager 7.0 EhP 1: recommended corrections before proceeding to EHP1.

> 2)For this EHP1 upgrade, we have to upgrade not only the ABAP system but also JAva environement with JSPM?

Thats right. Also make sure that you upgrade the kernel as well as the SPAM/SAINT.

Rajeev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for the tips.

This helped clear up some of my doubts.

Anyway, regarding detailed guidance of upgrade to SPS17 (upon double check, my current version is SPS9 ), in Note 1162947 it says that the download have to be done via Maintenance Optimizer.

I believe the Maintenance Optimizer in my system is yet properly configured.

So just wonder is there any other optional procedure I can refer to?