cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting a dual stack system (BI ABAP/JAVA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to the group,

We originally installed out BI 7.01 system as a dual stack by following a work around from SAP. Now that we are going forward with BW we would like to split this dual stack out to two separate stacks.

Has anyone accomplished or attempted this?

Our plan is to first export each type of system using SAPINST using this scenario:

Export Java and use this export to install a new java instance on a separate system (different SID/DB ID)

Export ABAP and use this for the basis of a new ABAP install on the original server (using the original SID)

Our servers are Windows Server 2008 and DB is SQL 2008.

Any thoughts, ideas, or links to helpful sites is much appreciated.

Thanks!

J. Haynes

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

That could be the only way to do the split, personally have never tried exporting the java part, but have tried exporting only the ABAP part and it works fine.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have had an issue on an dual stack ERP system which we want to split off the and simplify the environment.

Our plan for undertaking this work is to install a separate standalone java stack

Configure the relevant components on this.

switch our https and dns links to this, which then points to our R3 or BW system, as an interim measure pre upgrade.

This then gives us the ability to delete the java stack on our R3 system

Prehaps you could use this method with BW, install a standalone java stack for the BW system.

Configure and setup this, change all the connections and only after this work has been complete, removed the dual stack.

James

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To my knowledge there is no way of splitting a system yet. It is planned to have this as a feature of the next NetWeaver release.

This will be part of the upgrade process.

(And as I say planned I mean planned, which means I'm not promising it will be there)

Otherwise it is not supported.

Regards,

Benny

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benny,

> Otherwise it is not supported.

well - that's easy to say, yes.

I think this is a pretty interesting topic and given the fact, that not all customers are willing or able to upgrade to the next release and the fact, that 7.0 will be supported up to 2015, there should be a supported way of doing a split.

You (SAP) offered a dual stack installation praising the advantages of it, some time later you told customers not to do so and now the new installation media doesn't allow an installation of a dual stack any more; but those, who followed advises of consultants and you (who didn't know better at that time - nor did SAP) are now stuck with a overly complex installation with tons of inner-system dependencies they cannot get rid of.

BI + BI-Java is technically not that complex (although complex enough) but if I imagine customers running ERP 6.0 EHP4 with a Portal on EHP1, things look pretty bad.

If I as a customer was in that situation I'd open an OSS call and insist of a solution - which shouldn't be done by billed remote consulting but e. g. by a technical paper describing what task are to be executed. The "dual stack mess" is not a customers mistake but was based on recommendations you (SAP) gave before you learned.

Note: I'm not bashing you, I just think customers should be helped and not be dismissed with a simple "it's not supported, deal with it".

Markus

former_member203322
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

I just came into this topic as I have to split a BI java dual stack system based on ehp1...I found an interesting blog on sdn (/people/tom.cenens3/blog/2011/01/20/sap-netweaver-bw-70x-dual-stack-split-using-sapinst-exportimport-method) but I'm not being prompted to select which schema to export (I can't export abap schema as it is hundreds of gb)

has anything changed in the meantime ? are the 702 tools backward compatible ?

thanks and best regards

Michele

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a quick update on what we ended up doing.

We could not get the Java import process to work without failure (the ABAP side copied without any issues). So after determining that we could manually replicate the settings in Java we just completed a new install. In short, we could not get SAPINST to work for us when copying the Java stack (we tried different versions of SAPINST and updated versions of R3LOAD and so on).

Note that our difficulties were likely from trying to copy ABAP/JAVA from a dual stack to two single stacks while still utilizing MCOD within the database (for simplicity and licensing, we wanted to keep the MS SQL 2008 database for each instance on the ABAP system).

I don't know if that is helpful to anyone but thought I would share the experience in case anyone else encounters this issue.

Thanks!

J. Haynes

former_member185954
Active Contributor

Hello Joe,

No infact it is useful to share such information, someday someone stuck in similar issues will thank you

Anyways, was there any particular issue why the import/export of java didn't work out?

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello There

Yes, we have export the java Database using sapinst (which requires downtime on the Java) and then Import this database into the new or target Server. After that you have to setup the Connection between the ABAP and Java Compoment and it depends on Solution's that you use in Java , Which requires parameter changes on the ABAP side (ex icm/HTTP/j2ee_0 etc).

You can refer to the link

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/bff13df2-0c01-0010-6ba7-bc50346a6...

to see whether this helps

Regards

Karthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthi,

we are also thinking about splitting our dual stack system. We want to move Java Stack to a seperate machine with an export/import procedure within sapinst, if possible. Is there any howto guide or todo list, especially for post-upgrade?

Thanks & Regards,

Gerd