cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous System copy !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All ,

Due to some reason one of my client want to migrate SAP Ecc6.0 to Linux / Oracle from Windows 2003 /SQL 2005...

That means Source system = ECC6.0 , Windows Server 2003 64 bit , SQL 2005 .

Target system = Linux (Suse)/ Oracle 10g.

As far as i know it can be done through heterogeneous System copy (R3Load) ..Export/Import method.I did many system copies through Export Import / r3load method but i just wanted to know what things i need to consider while doing Migration ????

Like What are the differences in steps technically ?Do i have to take normal export of source system and then import it to target system only like Homogeneous copy?....What are differences except migration key step ?

Thanks,

RMoi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As far as i know it can be done through heterogeneous System copy (R3Load) ..Export/Import method.I did many system copies through Export Import / r3load method but i just wanted to know what things i need to consider while doing Migration ????

For heterogeneous migrations you must have a certified migration consultant on-site, otherwise you'll loose support for problems during the migration and for the target system (SAP will bill OSS calls). See http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

> Like What are the differences in steps technically ?Do i have to take normal export of source system and then import it to target system only like Homogeneous copy?....What are differences except migration key step ?

The technical steps are almost identical, you will, however, need to adapt the database parameters for Oracle before you start the data load, make sure you use the latest patches and tools (R3load, libdb* etc.) and be prepared to manually add data files using SQL.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> For heterogeneous migrations you must have a certified migration consultant on-site, otherwise you'll loose support for problems during the migration and for the target system (SAP will bill OSS calls). See http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

>

Well i am doing it on test box first so no problem with that ....i know that certified migration consultant required...it will come on later stage of the project.....so i have to make it test box first....

>

> The technical steps are almost identical, you will, however, need to adapt the database parameters for Oracle before you start the data load, make sure you use the latest patches and tools (R3load, libdb* etc.) and be prepared to manually add data files using SQL.

>

as you said only ...be prepared to manually add data file( I can do it through Alter tablespace in SQL PLUS) is this is the only difference ...rest all steps are same????

Thanks

RMoi

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> as you said only ...be prepared to manually add data file( I can do it through Alter tablespace in SQL PLUS) is this is the only difference ...rest all steps are same????

Basically yes.

The database will be created by sapinst with the estimated size that is calculated by executing R3szchk on the source system (before the export - automatically).

I have done quite a few migrations but especially for Oracle it never really fit for the target system.

Apart from that the procedure is identical.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well i am doing it on test box first so no problem with that ....i know that certified migration consultant required...it will come on later stage of the project.....so i have to make it test box first....{/quote}

Take care of your planing. For the productive migration you´ll have to send a migration plan to sap and there HAS to be 2 weeks between test and productive upgrade.

Also i´d suggest keeping the logs and analyse the runtime of the R3loads so you can change and split the order of the exports and imports.

regards

Peter