cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD unification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We are working in the possibility in the unification of 3 SLDs in a single one. So, besides the process complexity we have too, duplicated Business Systems.

We need to change Business System names. This BS are associated to many interfaces so we need to change them, but we also need to maintain the interfaces working. Is that possible?

Regards

Gonzalo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gonzalo,

> We need to change Business System names. This BS are associated to many interfaces so we need to change them, but we also need to maintain the interfaces working. Is that possible?

You can of course copy each object of IB Directory. Depending on the total number that could be a painful work, mistakes are expectable.

Another approach would be to setup new BS in the same SLD and - in first step - define them as transport targets of the old. Then export and import the corresponding scenarios. You should do a litle test with just on object before.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, the hard way....

Thinking in the strategy you propose, and in order to avoid stopping production interfaces while doing the change, I have figured out that you can maintain the BS names in production environment and change them just in development and quality. So you define transport targets from up to down. I mean I let the SLD configuration in production and I change it in development and quality.

When this is finished and for further development you define transport targets normally.

What do you think about?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Gonzalo

Edited by: Gonzalo del Castillo on Jul 21, 2010 1:00 PM

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gonzalo,

assumedly it would be helpful for the discsussion if you describe some details:

How many layers do you have?

How many SLD do you have and how many are you going to have?

How many Busisness Systems should be renamed?

Should all BS be renamed?

Can you estimate (raw) the number of IB Directory Objects referring a BS to be renamed?

And finally - most important: Why do you want to rename the BS?

My Idea was:

Rename of BS in one IB Directory without manual work (to avoid mistakes) by

- Export and import into the same IB Directory

- Import creates the new objects because the old BS have the new as transport target

- Finallly delete the objects referring the old BS (easy with button "where used list")

- Then a test if everything is ok.

- Then define transport targets for your new environment.

- Then you need to delete everything in QAS and Prod IB Directory and do normal transports.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udo,

We have 3 diferent SLDs(one for each XI environment) and we have planned to have just one.

We want to change just one BS. Why? Because this is a an ABAP BS associated to a Technical System and it has the same name in each SLD, so if we change from 3 SLDs to one we are going to have conflicts between this BS. The problem comes because instead naming this BS differently in each environment it has the same name in all of them. So we have 3 different objects with the same name. That is a problem because they point each of them to a different Technical System.

How many interfaces we have using this BS? a 100, more or less.

So we have the next assumptions:

1.- In order to merge the 3 SLDs into a single one we can't have BS with the same name if they are pointing to different TS.

2.-We have to change the names of at least 2 BS.

In order to avoid interrumptions of service I thought in a transport process begining in our production system. So we let the BS name in production as it is and we change it in development and quality. Then as result of that all the configuration (routing) will be wrong in both development and quality. Then we create the transport targets from up to down (Production -> Development -> Quality) and we transport each scenary one by one checking the configuration. Why doing that? because if we don't from the moment we change the BS all the interfaces will stop working until the configuration was repaired. And doing so in production is a little frightening...

Finally the questions:

Is it necessary changing the BS name? It is feasible doing the process I explainnned?

Regards

Gonzalo

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gonzalo,

so what i would do:

You might have in all 3 SLDs a SAP system, i call it "BS_SAP"

Ask your basis for a backup and a good interval to risc erros (weekend or night - ask your boss for extra salary, he, he), a basis guy should be available

- Create now 2 new techn sytems for QAS and PRD (should be already there if you make use of RZ70).

- Create new 2 BS like BS_SAP_QAS, BS_SAP_PRD

- Define transport targets: BS_SAP_QAS for BS_SAP and BS_SAP_PRD for BS_SAP_QAS

Transport all scenarios referring BS_SAP to QAS Directory. All object should be there double.

You can get problems with the channels (because not everything is transported). Assumdly the most easy way would be to copy the old channels to the new; the only change would be the BS what you change in the copy popup.

Delete the old objects by use of button "where-used list"

Test at QAS (just randomly)

Now transport to Production, adapt channels and delete the old stuff there. You should have one or two messages had prepared before so you can check connectivity at Production environment at once.

Your way should be possible as well, but i assume it is more complex. What is with other (3rd party) systems? I assume you would need to manipulate them as well coz they are linked to the objects.

Regards,

Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udo,

You are right about third-party systems. There are many of them and they are also created in this way, with the same name in each SLD...

I'm going to see how many third party BS are involved and you will probably read me in the forum again in the next days.

Thanks for your advice, it have been really helpfull.

Regards

Gonzalo

Answers (0)