Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downtime minimized option in the EHPI

former_member198282
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, all.

We are evaluating the EHP4 on our ECC6.0 dual stack system. I have already finished installing EHP4 on one of our evaluation system. But there are some nagging questions that I haven't found an answer. I hope you can shed some light:

1) During the manual selection of the shadow instance parameter (configuration phase), we are presented with options on the # of batch processes, max uptime processes and r3trans processes. What do these processes do and how do you determine the correct parameter?

2) What does downtime-minimized do in EHPI? I understand that in SAPup, if this option is not chosen, the sapup will shutdown the main instance and leave the shadow instance running. But I don't see the main instance coming down when I select no to that option until the downtime phase. So what does this option actually do?

3) Anyone has tried the "memory-minimized" option? I chose no and the DDIC activation finished properly.

Your attention is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) During the manual selection of the shadow instance parameter (configuration phase), we are presented with options on the # of batch processes, max uptime processes and r3trans processes. What do these processes do and how do you determine the correct parameter?

These processes are used to import data into shadow tables and then during downtime moving data from shadow system to original system.

Batch process: Used for the system cloning and thus, their number influences the speed of the system cloning process:

We highly recommend to use three background processes to be able to make use of the parallelization in the RUN_RSDBSCPY phase

According to the EHP4 Install guide

Max uptime processe: parallel process for import into shadow instance while the system is up

R3trans process: parallel import process during dowtime

Determining correct parameter will depend of couple of variables, 1st your system resources especially no. of CPU's secondly making sure that there are no SAP Notes limiting this selection.

2) What does downtime-minimized do in EHPI? I understand that in SAPup, if this option is not chosen, the sapup will shutdown the main instance and leave the shadow instance running. But I don't see the main instance coming down when I select no to that option until the downtime phase. So what does this option actually do?

Downtime-minimized in EHP is not different then an Upgrade what downtime-minimized strategy is which means that system uses new and improved version of the System Switch Technology as ABAP upgrade technology.

Check this blog: New [SAP Enhancement Package Installer available|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/16746] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member198282
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Downtime minimized doe not reduced downtime drastically as such ...As far as parameters are concerned it can be decided

on hardware configuration

former_member198282
Participant
0 Kudos

By the way, to clarify, I saw the prompt "with strategy downtime-minimized, you have the option of running shadow instance on another application instance ..."

However, I don't actually see the resource-minimized and downtime-minimized selection screen like the SAPup. So I am assuming that if I answer no, I am choosing resource-minimized. Not sure if I am wrong though.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

former_member198282
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Nisit.

Thank you for your feedback. In SAPup, not selecting downtime minimized means that the users will not be able to access the system during the upgrade process. However, the EHPI allows the availability of the system until the "downtime phase". So I don't understand what the option "downtime minimized" actually mean in EHPI. If answer no in EHPI, does that mean I need to manually lock all users since the system is actually available while I did NOT choose that option.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Downtime minimized is a functionaluty provided by SAP to minimize your production downtime while applying support patch.

If you select this option then some activity will perform in you production environment. No need to logoff user for the system.

When pree activity will complete it will ask to logoff all users from the system then start main import.

Regards,

Nisit