cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI in Non-NetWeaver Application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone..

My company is an SAP shop and currently uses SAP NetWeaver SP14, EP 6.0 and NetWeaver Studio for development. We are currently evaluating NWDI as the potential answer to our lifecycle development platform. My question is will NWDI support a mixed web platform? For example, we are looking at utilizing SAP NetWeaver as our J2EE layer with multiple Apache Tomcat servers acting as our web servers. Would NWDI still have the ability to migrate content / code in this landscape? Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks..John M.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jawahar and Roelof...

Thank you both for the quick reply to this topic. Your replies were very helpful. I understand that NWDS can be used in a non-SAP development environment since it is based on Eclipse, however, my question is can we use the CMS in NWDI to deploy code to an Apache Tomcat server ? Also, could we use DTR to save the source code versions?

Thanks..John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

You cannot use CMS to deploy to an Apache Tomcat server or any other Application server than SAP WAS. This is due to the fact that CMS makes use of SDM for deployment. SDM is a server process specific for SAP WAS.

You can however use the DTR to save your sources and use it for team development without any problem.

Kind regards,

Peter

former_member192029
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes it supports your pure J2EE application development too. also you can migrate your J2EE code & deploy to WAS by using NWDI.

NWDS sits on top of this predefined Eclipse infrastructure and integrates a wider range of functions, available using the plug-ins in the existing platform. The Developer Studio implicitly includes all the standard components and features of the Eclipse Workbench. It also extends them with a range of tools and utilities, which are bundled together in the appropriate SAP perspectives for the task at hand.

Cheers

Jawahar Govindaraj

PS:Reward pts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can easily use NWDS for non-SAP development.

NWDS is actually an older version of Eclipse that was modified by SAP. Eclipse is the IBM open source Java editor (IDE).

You cannot deploy your code from NWDS to Tomcat however. With Tomcat's autodeploy feature, this problem can be solved easily.

If you encounter other problems, you can always revert to Eclipse, which is similar to NWDS, and free. This will also give you the advantage of being able to use recent plug-ins.

Good luck,

Roelof