Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

What is MDM - Master Data Management?

Where exactly it is used in SAP (in ABAP / XI) and How..

can anybody explain me with one simple example..

I haven seen some Blogs and some topics in this Fourm, but feel like complicated in explaining the MDM

Thanks

Jen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

MDM is Master Data Management and it is a addition software install that is standalone and does not require an existing SAP system. It is used to store master data like vendors, customer, products, etc. in place so that SAP systems can "pull" the same data from a central repository to ensure data consistancy.

Some Links:

1.Best one is to go through Article by Mr. Roman Rytov under MDM Main Page.

2.http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm300/helpdata/en/2d/ca9b835855804d9446044fd06f4484/frameset.htm

Thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jen,

You may get many blogs to read but I would like to brief you up with what MDM is all about.See MDM5.5 SP03 is a special package that runs on WIN32.It is used basically when we need to get master data from various systems,clean the data and finally to distribute the data.It has main 3 parts

1)import-Here you import data from various systems into your repositories' tables you have created in MDM console.

2)cleansing and Harmonising-Here you clean and remove duplicate data in MDM Data manager.

3)syndication-Finally from sysndicator you send your data In xmls or other forms to various systems.

XI is not as such part of MDM5.5 however it is used in transferring data from legacy system to MDM.Basically XI team generates xml file from IDocs etc.XI is an interface between MDM and other system.ABAP may be used in MDM to create function modules or patch files but again direct ABAP programming is not equired in MDM5.5.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Please mark if helpful.

Regards

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jen,

Look at this presentation, This will give you an overview of MDM.

URL:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/mdm

Under e-Learning section,

Select <b>SAP MDM in Your IT Landscape</b>

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu