cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor IDOC in PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus.

I am quite new to PI and have to advice my company on how PI can be used to "better" monitor IDOC.

Scenario is one sap system is communicating to other sap system using IDOCs currently.

We have been told by SAP that using PI, we can get better monitoring capabilities than is currently available.

But after all my searching, I could only find 2 advantages that I can get:

- One central place where we could monitor all errors - need not go into all sender/receiver system separately

- Using PI, we could send acknowledgements back to sender system.

Are there any other benefits? I still dont think that PI monitoring could be used by the end-user. Still an administrator would be required for it, just like we have for ALE monitoring. Correct?

Lets say the receiver system is down. Can I configure PI in such a way that it "automatically" sends the IDOC to the receiving system "AFTER" the receiving system is up?

Are there any other advantages of using PI as a middleware in this scenario? Any monitoring capability which it has which can get a SURE thumbs-up from all parties - something which is not at all possible in ALE, but PI can provide??

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Addition to the above...

PI will be helpful if you want to do some other transformations...between the different systems like integration SRM,BW,...

CRM...and also Non SAP Systems..

But in your scenario..just for idoc monitor you cannot avail actual benefits of the PI...Only loose coupling can be maintained..

between systems..i.e you can easily extend the existing interfaces with out disturbing the other .systems..

HTH

Rajesh

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you have an existing IDoc to IDoc scenario where just one system is sending IDocs without mapping to another the benefits doesnt seem to large:

- One system more to administrate and to monitor

- One place more where a message can fail (more risc)

- in case of receiver system down an IDoc message from PI would stuck in SM58 - this is the same behaviour for a SAP sender system

- WE02 monitoring at sender and receiver system is anyway required

- acknowledgements shoulnt be a challenge with or without PI

The advantages are more in bigger and more complexe environments:

- One central place for integration knowledge

- All traffic via one platform: centralized monitoring and alerting

- Quick and easy change of mapping implementation

- Implementation of more complexe business rules with BPM

Regards,

Udo