Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Data into a Dictionary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

Here's my problem:

I've created a dictionary project and deployed it.

This project only creates one table with two columns.

I'd like to know how can I insert data in that table, but not via programming.

Is there any component-menu-option in NetWeaver which allows this?

If it's possible, when I deploy the project I'd like to create the table with data.

Don't know if this could be possible... This the first time I develop with this technology...

Thanks a lot!

Alberto.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alberto,

For that you should have the SQL Studio that connects to the server database(You can locate the installation file on your WAS installation CD/DVD). Log into the SQL Studio and then right click on the table you need to edit->Send Object TO->Form Dialog. Uncheck the "Read only" checkbox. In this dialog you can add new entries.

I don't think whether this is possible directly through the NWDS.

Follow the above method, that is what i do, it is easy and requires no hustle of programming

Best regards,

Guru.

PS:Reward points for helpfull replies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru, thanks a lot for your reply, it's very helpfull for me. I'll install SQL Studio, but... it would be possible with any other database client?

Trust me, I'm a really beginner in this questions... :S

When I create a Dictionary Project, the only thing I do is to design the structure of the table I want to create. Next, I create an sda archive(if I remember well) for that Dictionary Project and then I "Deploy in J2EE Engine". The cuestion is... Where is my table created? In which DataBase? Oracle? MySql? Postgree? ¿¿??

I've been developing J2EE/Struts applications for years and I've never seen creating a table in an Application Server, which I think is the J2EE Engine.

In the other hand, I have to access the data of that table (first I have to store it 😛 ) via Java Web Programming. For that, I've created a Servlet but I'm not sure how to stablish the connection with the Database... Which is the connection manager I've to use? jdbc? I've stablished a DataSource in the .ear I've deployed, but.. No idea if it works. I'm not on my work's computer now. I'll post the result as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, If someone could explain/reply to any of my poblems with the table creations or another thing... It would be very very helpfull for me

Thanks a lot again!

Alberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alberto,

Your approach of creating the dictionary project is very correct and nothing is wrong with it. Remember that it is called a DICTIONARY project, that means you can create only the metadata for the table and not entries

As far as the database is concerned, let me clarify you that with SAP WAS J2EE engine usually we get MAX DB, and they are seamlessly integrated. They work together and WAS itself uses that database. However we can use any other database as well in place of MAX DB, it is the wish of the admin team.

After the installation it depends on the database that which SQL frontend editor we use, i.e we can use Toad for ORACLE and SQL Studio for MAX DB etc etc.

Let me tell you, even i have worked on J2EE technologies like STRUTS, EJB, Spring, Hibernate so don't feel like a stranger, we both come from the same sea

If you want some ready to use source code mail me at gurvinderd@hexaware.com, i will send you the code.

Best Regards,

Guru.

PS: Reward points for helpfull replies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

thanks a lot for your replies, they've been very usefull for me

I'll send you an email, ok?

Thanks again!

Alberto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

I have the same question. and now i know how to insert the entries to the darabase. but does that mean if i deploy the dictionary Project .sda on the other AS , I will lose the data entries and need to do the insert again? Is it somehow possible if i deploy the dictionary Project on the AS i will get the defination of DB and data entries at the same time?

thanks a lot!

Regards,

Ting

Answers (0)