cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Expression must not return a multiline value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am doing a file to file scenario. My input file has more than one record. I have to validate for each of these records and send back the erroneous records in a file to the source folder.

I am using BPM for this. In my BPM, i have some multiline container elements. When i try to activate my BPM, i am getting an error saying: <b>Expression must not return a multiline value.</b>

Can anybody tell me why this error is coming? Also i want to know what type of mapping i have to do to split my source file.

Regards,

Divija.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

"Can anybody tell me why this error is coming? Also i want to know what type of mapping i have to do to split my source file."

Go through the following blogs which give step-bystep approach for split mapping using BPM:-

1. /people/sudharshan.aravamudan/blog/2005/12/01/illustration-of-multi-mapping-and-message-split-using-bpm-in-sap-exchange-infrastructure

2. /people/narendra.jain/blog/2005/12/30/various-multi-mappings-and-optimizing-their-implementation-in-integration-processes-bpm-in-xi

Also, you might want to look at this, where a BPM is not required..i think you can avoid a BPM altogether if you have very little validation..

/people/jin.shin/blog/2006/02/07/multi-mapping-without-bpm--yes-it146s-possible

Regards,

Sushumna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divija,

"Expression must not return a multiline value."

I think you'l have to re-check the occurences defined for the messages&/interfaces correctly.

"Also I want to know what type of mapping i have to do to split my source file."

Message&Interface mapping: Target mapping/interface should have an occurence of 0 to unbounded.

Regards,

Sushumna

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Divija,

As it clearly states, some STEP type has been assigned a Multiline container element and it does not allowe a multline container Element.

Check the Variable assigned for each of the Step Types.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

chk your transformation step ... have you given the correct container variable there ? (chk for the correct multiline or non-multiline interface)

also recheck wherever the multiline container is used ...

REF:

here it was just a mismatch of the assigned variable that caused the problem

Message was edited by: Shabarish Vijayakumar