cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redo log buffer is in cretical position

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Experts,

please try to solve my query, here in my system redo log buffer shows(alert monitoring) 99<4000 and message is '4000 redo entries per redo log space requests'

so i think i need to increase log_buffer parameter value upto required level ,then i entered in database

splplus / as sysdba

and i try to check my file is in which type (spfile or in pfile) by executing command

" SHOW PARAMETER pfile"

it shows

name--- spfile

type---string

value---/oracle/qty/102_64/dbs/spfileqty.ora

when i Excute 'SHOW PARAMETER spfile' also the same result

now in here i have doubt please clarify me

1) my file is spfile or pfile ?

2) how can i increase my parameter value (alter system set log_buffer = xxx scope=pfile (or) spfile )

3) is that my process correct for that error

please clarify me

thanks & regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my knowledge, Oracle 10g by default starts with SPFILE and if you are setting the parameter with alter command then yes the scope should be SPFILE. After that when you schedule any DB related activity(backup, update statistics etc.,) it will create pfile from spfile.

Before doing any changes take the backup of the existing files both (pfile and spfile) at os level.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sharath,

thanks for your reply and can i change that parameter value when my server is at on

or can i down my server and database first then i change these changes, please clarify me

thanks & regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can change the parameter at database level when it is on, but it will come in to affect only after restart. Hence I would suggest you to first take a downtime and then stop SAP. After that make the parameters changes in the database and then stop and start the database. Check if the new parameter value is showing up and after that start SAP.

Regards,

Sharath

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You'll need to restart the DB for the changes to take place.

Check SAP Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

why this problem occurs and if i didn't change this parameter value means what effects will be faced please reply .

thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the log_buffer is used to store the redo info temporarely to reduce disk IO... when the operation commits the buffer is flushed... a small buffer I presume could give you performance issues a large buffer is useless as the buffer will be flushed before it could use it.. Read the recommended value in the Note and you'll be fine.

Regards

Juan