cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you use a Group step to combine parallel threads to be recombined

Former Member
0 Kudos

How do you use the Group Step in MDM 5.5 Workflows to make parallel threads be recombined into a single job.? I have branched some failed records to be looked at and want them to rejoin the records which passed the validation. The Data Manager Soulution Guide is vague on this issue.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

How do you use the Group Step in MDM 5.5 Workflows to make parallel threads be recombined into a single job.?

Just have a glance at Group Step which consists of 3 Process steps. Page no 19/33

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b70eb612-0b01-0010-70b4-a01122d3f...

I hope it will give you some idea how to use Group Step in MDM work-flow

I have branched some failed records to be looked at and want them to rejoin the records which passed the validation.

I think here Merge Step can be useful to you as Merge step has many inputs and one output. Opposite of Branch step.

I don't know exactly your requirement, so just check which step fits in your requirement ( Merge Or Group Step)

Hope it helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member208981
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

You can use the Group step.

It has 1 input n 1 output. So what you can do is, in the Group block.. include the steps before they are divided and end it where you want to recombine them. You need to select Single, sequential or Concurent execution. For your requirement "All Sequential Random" will help.

Thanks,

Priti

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to recombine branched records, the Idea as an example is that I import 1000 records and run a validation which 900 pass and go down one arm of the branch and 100 fail and go down the other. The user can only see the 100 failed records, then once the records are validated they rejoin the 900 that passed and move to the next validation. The documentation says that the group step can be used for this purpose but I'm not seeing how considering you can't use a branch inside of a group step.

NOTE ►► The Merge does not recombine the multiple subjobs

created by a Branch into a single job. Its primary use is to allow the

sharing and reuse of the single output thread by each of the multiple

input threads. Use a Group step instead if you want the parallel

threads to be recombined into a single job.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Criag

A set of steps can be organized into a single group,

Group step is used only for logical grouping of steps which eliminates much of the complexity of typical flow diagrams. Group step has a single input and also single output. And you are correct branch step can not be part of the Grou step.

Now coming to your requirement- grouping the failed validation records and branching them to another thread as part of same workflow.

As per MDM 7.1 the records which are failing validations also goes back to the previous step by default, similar to Approve step. So say out of 100 records 50 failed validation they will go back to the previous step, say Process where the user may correct the data and again system will execute the Validate step.

If you want to monitor this manually instaed of using Validate step, use a Process step named as FOR VALIDATION in which the user should execute the validations manually for the records and based on the output for validation fill values in a separate defined flag in MDM data model which can be used for branching them to another thread.

Hope this helps-Ravi