cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xcelsius Dashboard Competition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We have launched a dashboard competition in Australia. We have been working on this for a while now and struggled to develop an appropriate data set. The model we developed forces the students to construct the data set. Basing the dashboard on a sporting event means that the data is usually readily available. This model can be be implemented at any university using different sporting events. Below are the details of the competition.

SOCCER WORLD CUP

SAP BUSINESSOBJECTS XCELSIUS DASHBOARD COMPETITION

Scenario

An Australian media company has asked you to develop a dashboard to represent the Australian Socceroo's performance at the FIFA Soccer World Cup 2010. The dashboard should be designed to enable soccer fans to analyse different aspects of the Australian Soccer Teamu2019s performance. The data, which will form the basis of the dashboard, can be sourced from a variety of websites. The dashboard will be judged on its design, functionality and supporting documentation.

Rules

We have kept the rules simple:

The dashboard must be built using SAP BusinessObjects Xcelsius (trial version is available for download).

The competition is open to all Australian university students. Teams are made up of individuals or groups of two.

Entries must include a dashboard (xlf format) and accompanying documentation. The documentation should include justifications for the overall design, data used, and components used to display this data. In addition a simple end user manual should be included.

Entries should be submitted to Paul Hawking by 5:00pm 18th July

Prizes

The winning dashboard creators will receive an Apple iPad.

The winning individuals will be acknowledged and their dashboard will be displayed on the SAP web site and SAP Australian User Group web site.

Judges

Paul Hawking, Victoria University

Susan Foster, Monash University

Nick Harris, SAP

Resources

The following resources are made available to assist with the competition:

SAP BusinessObjects Xcelsius Download

SAP BusinessObjects Xcelsius Tutorial

SAP BusinessObjects Xcelsius User Guide

Good Luck

Paul Hawking

SAP Academic Program Director

Victoria University

Australia

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am not a University Student, Neither I am in Australia, Can I still participate?

Thank you

Sapna

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I'm interested in doing something similar in the UK but I'd be interested to know what the take-up was before commiting time and effort. How did the competition go - did you have a decent number of students and universities participating?

All the best

Martin

Martin Gollogly

Director, University Alliances

United Kingdom, Ireland and Benelux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin

Due to a number of delays we ended up sending out the call for entries to lecturers in the semester break. We still ended up with 8 entries from 3 universities. We intend to conduct the competition each year so we are happy with this as a starting point. I spoke with SAP product director at a recent conference and he gave us a couple of suggestions about using IDES data out of ECC or some of the data that exists in SAP BW. Then use industry experts to develop the story. This is something we will look at next year.

Another hint is that we used SAP Streamworks entirely for the judging. It worked well.

I think we will launch the next competition at the start of the academic year so lecturers can incorporate the competion into their existing subjects.

Already I have been approached from industry about the winner serving an internship in relation to creating dashboards. the winning entry will be posted online shortly.

I hope this answers your questions.

Good Luck

Paul Hawking

SAP Academic Program Director

Victoria University

c821311
Participant
0 Kudos

Paul

I attended the presentation for the Xcelsius Dashboard award today in the Melbourne SAP office. The winner Rohini Sreedhar and runner up Mohammad Misbar Yunus demonstrated their entries to to SAP and Industry Partners (Innogence and Acclimation)

I was extremely impressed with the quality of the work from both Rohini and Misbar, you are to be commended for setting such an exciting challenge which the students so obviously accepted.

The University alliance has now paved the road for Acclimation offering Rohini a position with us. We look forward to working closely with the University alliance and providing more such opportunities to talented students.

Many thanks to SAP and Innogence for supporting the competition.

Best regards, Tony de Thomasis.

PS. Make sure you also take a look at the Reportapalooza guest challenge

http://www.reportapalooza.com/challenge-set-list/challenges/guest.html?s=tw

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi sapna

Sorry but it is only ope to Australian university students.

Regards

Paul Hawking