cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe Linking

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Lets say I have a Premium Universe and a Claims Universe, both of these have conformed dimensions and different fact tables.

Now I open my Premium Universe and add a Link to Claims Universe.

In this scenario, is my Premium Universe called Core/Derived, I'm kind of confused between these.

Appreciate your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually, you should have a 3rd universe set up to link to both Premium and Claim universes. These 2 universes will be your core universes and the 3rd universe will be your child universe which is exposed to the users.

By the way, the semantic layer will be drastically changed in the upcoming release (i.e. XI 4.0). Therefore, I suggest you not to start any linked universe until you find out what the changes will be. It certainly will affect your design and architecture of the semantic layer.

-

If you are using the BusinessObjects tool, you should join [ASUG|www.asug.com]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Simon for the resposne.

I dont have a 3rd universe yet, the requirement I have is to link one to the other, in the 2nd universe(Claims) I wouldn'ty create any dimensions objects, i will only have measures, when I link it to the Premium Universe, I will expose the Premium Universe to the users for reporting, so they will be able to query on all of the objects.

What do you think about this approach. I'm not sure if it is Kernel or Master approach.

We are still on XI R2, I dont see any upgrade to R4 in the near future.

Thanks for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Keerthi, it is never too early to plan ahead because once you have gone down one specific path, it is hard to go back and make correction. I know because I have inherited and got stuck with some badly designed universes. We are always under the gun and we never have the chance to re-build them properly. So I keep putting bandages on them and pray.

Anyway, the universe that you are exposing to the users is the child or derived universe. The hidden one(s) is(are) the kernel or core universe(s). Although in your case, it might not be that clear-cut.

Hope this clarifies.

-

If you are using the BusinessObjects tool, you should join [ASUG|www.asug.com]

PPaolo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

hopefully the attached presentation can help clarifying the Linked Universe concept.

Best regards

PPaolo

Answers (0)