cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database level parameter for table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DBA Gurus,

Our developers are developing a program in SAP, Millions of records will insert and update in a table with that program.

Our database is oracle, So i would like to check in database level is there any parameter that will stop inserting and updating records after some limit, i mean any limit will be there or 'N' of records can update. (I would like to check if any parameter already set in my system for limited number of records or not).

Do we have any parameter like that in database level, Please help.

Regards

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is this a data take on.............??

Also be mindful if you are banging millions of records in a live system be aware of your users EG. table locks number range buffering etc. and keep an eye on the "saparch" or oraarch" whichever your have decided from a naming convention point of view.

I am assuming you have done this in a QA environment. What was your table growth after the process.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Volker and Mark,

It is in development stage only, Our developers want to check before development completes if any parameter is there in database level. (If any parameter available they want to include that parameter in there program)

So you both are saying that no limitation in inserting and updating the records in a table (No parameter available for limit ?.), we need to check only the capacity of table, tablespace and keep an eye on saparch files.

Please confirm if i am right.

Thankyou both of you again.

Regards

kumar

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

from "Oracle® Database Reference 10g Release 2 (10.2)" in Section "Logical Database Limits"

Rows       Maximum number per table       Unlimited 

Hope this helps

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Volker,

How can i check the same in my system, What command i need to use ?.

Regards

Kumar

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

???

you can not! There is no V$DATABASELIMITS table in the system.

You can query V$VERSION and/or DBA_REGISTRY to confirm what version you are on.

But for the limits / no limits thing you have to rely on Oracles information (in relation for your release).

You can find the documentation by doing a google with:

oracle "logical database limits"

...was the first hit two minutes ago (for 10g).

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Volker..

Regards

Kumar

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hi DBA Gurus,

Hello

> Our developers are developing a program in SAP, Millions of records will insert and update in a table with that program.

Hopefully, they are planning ahead on how to get rid of this data after a time as well.

> Our database is oracle, So i would like to check in database level is there any parameter that will stop inserting and updating records after some limit, i mean any limit will be there or 'N' of records can update. (I would like to check if any parameter already set in my system for limited number of records or not).

There is no such limit at all, but there are others, that might be relevant:

- old release (you did not mention yours) and / or old tablespace definition:

MAXEXTENTS on either table or indexes could be a limit (not relevant in new environment)

- 1023 datafiles of 32G per tablespace. If you go bigger, you need to partition the table,

which might be a good idea anyway, depending on the data to be stored.

Hope this helps

Volker