cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying a Custom JSP Database Application on WAS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am considering the development a JSP database application that I would like to reside on a BW 3.0 box (WAS 6.20). The application will include links to BW reports. While technically it could reside on a separate server, my customer does not a have an available J2EE server. I understand WAS 6.20+ includes J2EE in the Java stack.

The developer has experience deploying Java apps on common platforms such as IIS, but will not be familiar with the WAS.

Are there any step-by-step documents for taking a fully developed Java app and deploying it on the SAP box? Is it likely to be a major task?

Also, as our SAP box already includes Oracle - are there any issues with the app sharing Oracle for it's database? The application will be very simple with less than a dozen tables. I guess it would be possible to define the tables as ODS tables in BW, but this this would also require the development of some RFCs on the BW instance to enable the tables to updated. Otherwise, I could go with a cheap DB like MySQL.

Finally, ultimately the customer is likely to want this app to be available in the SAP Enterpirse Portal (they have not implemented it as yet). My understanding is that if the java app executes in the Browser okay, I should be able to create an iView wrapper around it for it to run in the Portal. Is this correct?

Many thanks

Adrian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adrian,

1. I understand WAS 6.20+ includes J2EE in the Java stack.

Yes, it is a full J2EE server with EJB, Servlet and JSP support.

2. Are there any step-by-step documents for taking a fully developed Java app and deploying it on the SAP box? Is it likely to be a major task?

No, this is a very simple task, the biggest task you will have is to find out the URL to call your JSP and even that is not very difficult.

Install the WAS 6.20 Client environment (comes on one of the WAS CDs). This will give you the deploy tool.

In the deploy tool create a new project. Call it whatever. Pick your existing WAR file or individual JSP files and step through the 3 tabs.

(Ask if you have get stuck with any of them). The point here though is that by using the deploy tool you will not need to understand at all how SAP deals with J2EE components (descriptors, etc.). If you create an .EAR file then you can skip all the steps and just import it in the last tab and then deploy it (you still have to first create a project).

3. Regarding using the same Oracle.

Technically this shouldn't be an issue. The SAP compoments have their own schemas so if you ask a DBA to create you a separate schema then it shouldn't be a problem (don't know BW, but assume that this is how it works).

4. Regarding the Iview development.

As far as I remember, yes. You could even try the Developer Studio as it should have some Wizards to help you to get a Iview template going.

Cheers,

Kalle

Message was edited by: Kalle Pokkinen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks Kalle,

Your response was very helpful. I can get developer to proceed with the Java development. It will be 1-2 months in development. Once testing on his own server is complete, I will add to the WAS using the deploy tool.

I'll post again if I have any problems.

Regards

Adrian

Answers (0)