cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brarchive help - regarding the arch<SID>.log file ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Recently, I have a disk filling up fast problem on the archivelog directory, so I have to do the following:

01 - move some files to a temporary directory

02 - run brarchive - SUCCESFUL with warnings due to the archivelogs that I moved

03 - return some of the files that I moved to the original archivelog directory

04 - make a copy of arch<SID>.log as arch<SID>.log.01

05 - modify the arch<SID>.log file to start backing up from the files that I returned to its original directory

06 - run brarchive again - SUCCESSFUL with warnings due to archivelogs that I moved and have not returned to the original directory

07 - repeat the process from step 03 until all archivelogs has been backed up

NOTE:

- For step 04, I rename arch<SID>.log to arch<SID>.log.02 on the second run, arch<SID>.log.03 on its 3rd run and so on and so forth.

Now after all is said and done, I end up with several files names arch<SID>.log.01, arch<SID>.log.02 .... arch<SID>.log.NN and arch<SID>.log.

I want to know if anyone knows how I can combine all these files into one new arch<SID>.log file. Reason being is that some of the missing archivelogs that are reported in arch<SID>.log has actually already been backed up but are not recorded in the most recent arch<SID>.log file.

I just discovered that I need to do this, otherwise brrestore will complain that the file to restore is not found because it is not in the most recent arch<SID>.log file. Or maybe, is there a way to tell brrestore what arch<SID>.log file to use? That is, can I run brrestore and tell it to use arch<SID.log.01?

Any feedback will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by: newbie01.sap on Jul 14, 2010 11:51 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if possible, never ever move archive logs AND run brarchive then. Will be too messy to be resolved.

If your logs fill up to speedy, run brarchive continously with either one copy

brarchive -c -u / -sd

or with two copys to two tapes

brarchive -c -u / -ssd

If you missed to start this run in time and the system is stuck already,

option two, when i.e. 200 Logs are in oraarch when the system is stuck,

move logs #150-#190 elsewhere and run

brarchive ... -n 140 ...

which will only process 140 logs and then stop.

Move the "parked" logs back in place then an run brarchive again to backup the rest.

This will stop your archSID.log from being splitted

Hope this helps

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

For all practical purposes which I have seen , the issue with archSID.log comes when you have to sometimes temporarily move some of the archive log files from the archive destination temporarily.

The basic purpose of of the brarchive is to have a safe copy of allthe arcihves logs generated which wil be helpful during recovery and restore.

After you have re-coped the archive log files to the directory , then rename the archiSID.log and then run brarchive. The job run will be successful , and all the archive logs found under oraarch will be backed up .

I hope that it answers your question. Also in your case all the Archive Logs have been backed up successfully. Hence for the newer archives getting generated, you dont need an old archSID.log , let brarchive create its own on its next run and you

should be all set,

Thanks

Rishi