cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Attributes into a Taxonomy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey all,

I have a problem importing attributes into my taxonomy using the Import Manager.

My source data has three tables, one for products, one for the attributes (ID and name) and one combining the product ID and the attribute ID and the distinct value for the combination.

I get all that stuff about having to pivot the third 'value'-table to be able to turn the attributes into a sort of field, according to the 'How-To paper'. Yet, that only works using the ID as field-name. But I want the attribute name to be the name. I tried to use a lookup in the value table into the attribute table and got the attribute name as lookup field. But for some reason, I can't pivot using a lookup table, in the preview I always get a '0 of 0'.

I guess I could change the structure of the source data and add the attribute name into the 'value'-table, but there has to be another way, right?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After doing the "Lookup", select name field and right-click --> "Display distinct Values". If you don't see any values for this, then the problem is with the data types for the ID field in both tables. These should be same in both tables. Please check whether this is the root cause of of your problem or not and let us know the result.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rajani Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajani,

thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion and I can display all the distinct values. The data types are also the same.

In the source preview, after the lookup, the looked up values (attribute name) is shown correctly and assigned to the correct record, so the join and the lookup seem to work correctly.

I tried another approach and looked up the ID as well (even though it is the field that links to the attribute table) just to see if there was a general problem with pivoting with lookup fields. But it does pivot correctly using the id. Now, I don't want the ID to be the name of the attribute, but the text value, so I can't work with that. Even a combination of the looked up attribute name and ID didn't work.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Cheers,

Chris