cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe refreshing issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have issue with universe refreshing. Whenever a table changed in database, we have to refresh the universe to reflect the table changes. After the universe is refreshed, the crystal report based on the universe will not work properly. The mapping of columns from universe and fields in report is lost and we have rebuild the report.

The BOE version is 11.5.

Crystal report version is 11.5

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member193452
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can edit your connection to disconnect after each transaction to make sure the correct connection is used.

In the universe, you can select all tables in the graphic panel, right click and rename,

this brings up the owner and qualifier.  Make sure these are entered correctly then save.

all tables in the graphic panel should have the same owner qualifier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xinchao, it depends on what kind of table change you are talking about. If you are adding more fields to the table, refreshing the table structure in the universe will not break the reports. But if you are changing existing fields, especially on field type, or if you are deleting fields, you will break the reports that are using those fields.

In order to fix your report, you have to go back and find those fields. Check if they are still existing and in what format. You have to fix all the data fields first, then you have to remap them manually. Yes, it is a real pain. And that's why the data team has to work closely with the report development team, and not to make drastic change to the table blindly.

Hope this helps.

-

If you are using the BusinessObjects tool, you should join [ASUG|www.asug.com]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Simon.

My problem is that I can't refresh the universe when adding newfields to table. So I have to drop the table from universe and add it again. Then my Crystal report is broken.

Do you know how to refresh the universe in this version of BOE designer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't understand why you drop the table and not refresh the universe??!?! In the Designer just go to View and click Refresh Structure. Once refreshed, export is back to the repository.

- Noman Jaffery

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I refreshed structure, I got messasge "The selected tables were not found". Do you know why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xinchao, let's see if I understand you correctly. You couldn't refresh the table structure for some unknown reason and you removed the table from the universe. Right? That is the reason why your report is not working. Each object in the universe is identified by its CUID which is an unique ID. When you remove a table, the objects from that table will be lost. And when you recreate the objects, they will have totally different CUID that the report does not recognize.

Now, I don't understand the part that you said you couldn't add the table back to the universe? what error message did you get? And you can refresh table structure now? Please explain.

-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tested the connection to the table?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone. I did the following changes and then I can refreh the table now.

I highlighted all the tables which were not found and right click and choose rename... Then place the owner name of the tables. I don't know why the owner name is missing when the tables are imported.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xinchao, it depends on how the database is set up. For example, if synonyms are not set up, you will need to fully qualify the table names.

Glad to hear it is working for you. This thread is now marked as "assumed answered". If you feel it is not correct, please let us know.

-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simon, hi.

thanks for the explanation about the CUID and the importance in refresh / redesign universe keeping the objects. But I have a question: I'm creating  an Universe based on another one, just renaming the tables (pointing it to another owner.table name) and then refreshing the structure. It works most of the times, bat i hade noted that some tables simply appear not to change (you can see it on the Universe Window) , in particular when some column is dropped from the table on the database. What could be the reason?

Could you also  give me some references to search for more about the universe structure?

Thanks in advance

Martin Goebbels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I tested the connection. The fact is that some tables refresh, other not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Xinchao. I had the same situation and was confused what was happening. Finally your post helped me ! Cheers!

0 Kudos

Moved to Universe Designer forum