cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centralized vendor master data without MDM(!)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Currently we are working in a centralized vendor master database design without MDM(!), which means we have to develope some MDM functionality in order to ensure the proper run. In our idea, the centralized vendor database will be placed in SRM and SRM will be the hub: which means, SRM will transfer the vendor masterdata to the target system (target system could be SAP and Non-SAP system as well!)

We also identified some key points of our idea and i would like to ask your opinion/experience about it:

- For sure we have to handle vendor ID mapping between SAP and Non-SAP system. Without MDM we have to develop this logic. Have you ever created this kind of development in your carreer? (We plan to use XI which can handle the mapping and we will create a custom table in SRM which is going to store the mapping)

- It is mandatory to identify unique vendors in the database. Again, without MDM this is a development. (The logic will check pre-defined fields which will be checked in any case when XI transfer is in process). Any experience?

- In case of MDM, the XI can be used in a "standard" way (let's say it in this common way). We think we can use it as well, but the source fields and target fields are different (I mean, the basic logic of BP transfer is the same)

Right now we think these points could be the most challenging part of the design, but if you think we have to bear in mind some other important things, please let me know!

If you need further clarification, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for all your comments/advices!

Best Regards,

Attila

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think, Centralized Repository is a concept and MDM is only a tool which provide a easy way and features to implement this concept. If you want to implement this without MDM, then you can do it but it will take more efforts and custom development.

Before I give my opinion to your question, i have a query. Why you are planning to use SRM as central instance of vendors and Not ECC. Is there any business reason for this???

I think,

1. Yes, your first approach is correct. you can create a Z table and can store vendor ID mapping with in that. Then you can write extraction logic in either your source system or PI to send vendor ID accordingly to the target system.

2. Its good to have unique vendors. if you have duplicates then it may impact reporting and thereby business analysis.

3. Yes, you can use PI/XI and can easily write mapping as per your source and target structure as per your requirement. MDM is not mandatory for PI.

Please revert if you have any more query.

Best Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv,

We have several reasons:

- parallel we are implementing ROS/SUS which will be connected with SRM -> make sense to have the database in SRM and not to develop some more custom logic (and modify the process) which transfers the data to ECC (standard process: supplier registers in ROS and after approval it will be transfered to SRM and so on)

- The client has several subsidiaries (with different kind of systems) and if we choose SRM as central we have to use "standard" interface between SRM and SAP and a custom interface for Non-SAP system. Furthermore it could be risky to connect all the subsidiariesu2019 system to the central ECC (currently they are not connected): we think, it is better to connect it to SRM.

- We would like to avoid creating "useless" vendor master data in ECC. As i mentioned, ALL supplier will be in SRM after registration and approval (only with basic view) and if the client or its subsidiary requires that vendor, the vendor master data will be transferred only to that system where it is required.

What do you think about these reasons? Does it make sense for you?

Related to my open points:

Am I understand correctly, that you basically agree with my high-level solution? If you have experience on this, do you have any idea how much effort could it take to develop it (that would be good as well, if you could define a complexity of development).

Do you think is there any other difficulty (or mandatory functionality) what we have to keep in mind?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Attila

Answers (0)