cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP slowing performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi BASIS GURUs

I'm a new SAP BASIS and I'm having a problem regarding SAP performance at runtime. It sometimes slows down for a reason I dont know. I checked the server and my CPU performance, and it is at normal condition. Can you give me some things to check and consider on those instances. Also, can you explain to me what is the term "Table optimizer" in DB?

thanks,

karshbax

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With table optimizer, probably the cost based optimizer of Oracle is mentioned. Check in db13 if the statistics are scheduled at a regular basis..

For the performance issue, check in sm66/sm51 if many processes are being occupied, and if you see many requests on the same table. If so, check in st04 - detailed analysis - sql sessions - and select one of the sessions that is reading on that particular statement. Now you have to analyze the statement. On sapnet useful notes can be found how to do this.

Further you can check if the update process is not taking too much time and also check transaction st02 for extensive swapping..

And there are about hundred more things to check, but since you are just new into SAP Basis, this might be a good start...

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can do the following

1. Check if the system slow issue reported by users is happening only for particular reports or all reports. If it if for particular reports, you can get teh table name and do reorg

2. check in the Unix level using topas command if the CPU is highly utilised. there may be some unncessary processes running in Unix

3. check the STAD report at that particular time and analyse if it is normal

4. check the tables accessed during that time to see if it was direct read or Sequential access

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply, though I still dont understand it 100%, I'm going to check these tcodes that you've mentioned and try to figure out how to use them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just see how far you get. If you have questions, you can always post them...

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

I have some idea on what you have said, but I still want to clarify the FF:

If it is incase a particular report and I already have the table name.. do I have to use TCODE se16 for the reorg? may I know what actually a reorg is?

how can i view the STAD report and what does STAD means?

Thanks for your response!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Reorg is a Database activity done in DB13 transaction.

In reorg, the data in the table is move to temp space and then the data is put back to the table, so that the data is stored continuously in the table and in the hard disk.

You can do a online reorg or offline reorg. Online reorg may take lot of time, if there are jobs running on that table. But offline reorg may take less time, but the table will be offline

STAD report is used to view the activities in the system for that particular duration. You can get only 24 hours data in that.

Please let me know if your question is answered

Answers (0)