cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is difference between nonconformance & number of defect?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

While summarized result recording there is field u2018Resultu2019 which is nothing but nonconformance quantity where as while raising defect we put number of defect, I would like to know what the difference between these two?

Thanks & Regards

Prashant

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, i have more clarity now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What does the term u201CNonconformanceu201D mean?

Nonconformance may be defined as the failure of a unit of product to conform to specified requirements for any stated quality characteristic. The extent of nonconformance of product to the required quality characteristics shall be expressed either in terms of percent defective or in terms of defects per hundred units (DHU).

What are Defects and Defectives?

A defect is any nonconformance of the unit of product with the specified requirements. A defective is a unit of product which contains one or more defects. Failure to meet requirements with respect to quality characteristics are usually described in terms of defects or defectives.

Means in simple terms defect is any non conformance which does not comply the Quality requirement / std.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for giving defination & explaning it, i would be happy if you answer by giving some example.

Regards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

A non conformance is say length not ok( specified was 2.2mm observed 2.5 mm--->means failure to comply length specified).

& Number of defects for such non conformance ( means length not ok) are say 2.

there can be different non conformity like thread not ok ,will have its own number of defectives.........

Likewise number of defects in a component can be many according to the nonconformities.......

Former Member
0 Kudos

As per your explanation please confirm below example whether i understood correctly or not

while inspecting lot of quantity 10 against characteristic 'scratch' it is found that 1 quantity having scratch so nonconformance (specification says there should not be any scratch) quantity is 1.

Whereas within that 1 quantity there are 5 scratches so number of defect is 5, am i right?

Regards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me put it in this way ...........

for the nonconformity of scratches there is one defective piece which has one defect.

( Means it may happen that this defective piece may have several defects ,means this defective piece may non compliance to other quality parameters)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It all depends on your industry and how your business chooses to define a defect or a non-conformance. Typically I count a non-conformance as something that prevents me from selling the product to the customer. It might violate a contract agreement or in might just not be suitable for sale at full price. But a defect can be anything I want it to be. A test value that violates my manufacturing spec might be a defect I want noted, but it is not a non-conformance if it doesn't violate my sales spec. Many industries manufacture to tighter specs than what their sales spec actually is.

A defect might also be something that is immaterial to the final customer. They are going to notice a scratch on the inside of their DVD player on the chasis. But I might mark that as a defect since it may indicate that a piece of machinery is not quite in alignemnt and I want to watch monitor that to see if it gets worse. So this maybe minor, non critical defect.

in the system, the number of non-compliances usually directly relate to the number of units that must be removed and reworked or rejected. The number of defects may be significantly higher.

In your example, if a scratch(es) results in an unusable piece, the non-conformance is probably one. the number of defects is up to how you want to record it. Were the five scratches from the same cause? Or was the unit scratched in five different ways?

I don't know if this helped or not.

FF