cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Manager and Excel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently, we are experiencing an issue with importing data via import manager where the excel spreadsheet contains cells greater than 255 characters. How can I get around this without create a text delimited file. I didn't see in the reference manual a limitation mentioned when importing data.

Please let me know.

Edited by: Victor Bargas on Jul 13, 2010 5:09 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

See if you are using Field of Type = Text in MDM then max width of Text field <=333 characters.

Just check the width of this Text field in MDM Console. If it is 255 characters, make it to 333 characters after unloading your repository. Make sure that your Source file should have length <= 333 characters else you have to use Property Accept Truncated value after mapping your Source field with target field in MDM Import Manager>right click on Source field->Set Value Conversion filter>Accept Truncated value. It will result in eliminate source field characters beyond 333.

If your requirement is still not to truncate value and you want to have all character's beyond 333 then field of Type Large Text should be used(makes sense) rather than using Field of Type Text in MDM.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked and the field in question are text large fields. I did a test and when I updated the the field, it actually let me upload more than 333 characters. I do not get the "unable to connect to source" error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

What type of problem you are facing.

Actually when the source field contain more characters then the length of destination map fields then it automaticatlly truncates the character in the sourcs=e fields.

Import manager expects that you have to manually change the values in converted coloumn or simple hit enter in converted coloumn to accept the truncated value as it is.

If you want to accept all the truncated values as it is then instead of soing at value level you can do at field level by right clicking on source field->set conversion filter->accept truncated values.

will this help to solve yr problem or not.

Please revert back with yr results.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I actually receive an "unable to connect to source" error. not sure why but when I use a file where the fields have been trimmed, i'm able to connect. any help is appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi victor

Not sure why this error is coming. Never experienced this.

Please try following-

1. in the excel file introduce 2 columns( C1 and C2) which should contain say initial 150 char and remaining last char based on formula.

2. In the import map use partition options for combining/concatenating the values of field C1 and C2

3. Map the partitioned field to the destination field.

regards-Ravi