cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many work processes should be configured in ERP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey guys I'm installing ERP 6.0 on a system landscape on AIX 6.1 and Oracle 10.2.0.4.

I wish I had an idea of what is best practice to determine how many work processes can be configured in an instance ?

I give the example of the Quality server:

Only a Central Intance

Number of Users to Log On: 120

Physical Memory: 12 GB

Swap Space: 38 GB

Thanks for your help

Desiré

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, it depends on a number of factors: are these users all working at the same time? What kind of activities are they executing, do you have some interfaces running as well?

You can always increase or decrease the number of work processes afterwords. In transaction sm50 - list - CPU you can see how many cpu time has been consumed by each process. If this is 0 for some processes, you could remove these processes. If you don't have enough processes, you will notice automatically...

Kind regards,

Mark

rakesh_ranjan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Refer to SAP Note 9942 for maximum number of work process.

Regarding what would be optimal setting in your system, there is no clear cut solution. You have set it first based on your guess for amount of dialog activity, batch jobs etc.

Typically, you should have dialog process double than background processes. Simillary, background process should be double than update, update should be double than update2 and total should not cross more than what mentioned in above Note for your Operating system and SAP release.

Then you keep checking the system any bottleneck for a week or two and accordingly adjust the work processes if required.

regards,

rakesh