cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant Configuration Options

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a rather complex assembly that will be defined using variant configuration.

Thus far, we have two options for defining the item - using a single part number with class 300 characteristics or creating a unique part number for every conceivable combination of characteristics. This latter solution could entail as many as 4,000 part numbers.

The problems we're seeing have to do more with schedule instability. The variant configuration item is unique to the sales order and the customers have a tendency to change their schedule, even inside lead time. So these unique assemblies are difficult to identify using a single part number strategy, especially if they have to be held in stock for any period of time.

We would prefer to bring these in as just in time items, but the schedule instability will still make that a difficult effort.

What other possibilities do we have for configuring this item that will make it more readily identifiable without going to the unique part number soliution? Is there something in between one part number and 4,000?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bcrao
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Variant configuration with characterstics- using 300 is better one.

Is all 4000 variations applicable to every customer?

If not identify restrications apply them

You can also identify some regular models/combinations and fix as configured material

Thanks

Chidambaram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, that is my argument. We should use the 80/20 rule and set up the regular combinations as standard materials, but not set up all 4,000. My thought is they have never shipped all 4,000 combinations and, if they begin to see a trend in a new combination, set it up.

The problem is, this item is part of a larger assembly, meaning it's not the top level on the bill of material - it is actually around level 1 or 2. So I don't know how they would know this at the time the sales order is generated. Also, still concerned about how to forecast the requirements to the supplier, but that's another issue.