cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous system copy using database specific tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

My enviroment is ECC6/Oracle 10.2.0.2/Solaris 10

I'm attempting my first system copy (central instance ABAP) using database specific tools from my PRD to my QAS system

in the source system I ran sapinst and proceed as follows

Execution of Service SAP ERP 6.0 SR3 > Software Life-cycle options > system copy > oracle > source system export >

central system > based on AS ABAP ? Database Instance Export

The export creates two folders and an file ie ABAP, JAVA & LABELIDX.

The folder ABAP is empty while JAVA has three files.see details below. I have a feeling something is not right ?

Kindly advice before I proceed with database offline backup and importation in the target system

*/oracle/INSTDIR/MIGRATION-CD/SYSCOPY*

*root@PRD#*

*root@PRD#*

*root@PRD#ls -l*

*total 6*

*drwxrwxr-x 2 root sapinst 512 Jul 12 13:19 ABAP*

*drwxrwxr-x 2 root sapinst 512 Jul 12 13:19 JAVA*

*-rw-rw-r-- 1 root sapinst 10 Jul 12 13:19 LABELIDX.ASC*

*root@PRD#*

*root@PRD#cd ABAP*

*root@PRD#ls -l*

*total 0*

*root@PRD#*

*root@PRD#cd ../JAVA*

*root@PRD#pwd*

*/oracle/INSTDIR/MIGRATION-CD/SYSCOPY/JAVA*

*root@PRD#ls -l*

*total 6*

*-rw-rw-r-- 1 root sapinst 19 Jul 12 13:19 LABEL.ASC*

-rw-r----- 1 root sapinst 14 Jul 12 13:19 LABELIDX.ASC

-rw-r----- 1 root sapinst 168 Jul 12 13:19 SOURCE.PROPERTIES

root@PRD#

root@PRD#

According to the system copy documents I've gone through I expect to see the following

in the export directory

=> structure with label files and source system information

=> database structure files (*.STR) for ABAP database objects

=> database statistics

=> Size calculation for the target database (*.EXT, DBSIZE.XML)

=> Archiving of the SDM

=> Archiving of application specific file system content

I get a dialog box message that the export has completed successfullu but only two phases were done ie

=> NW_export

=> Prepare To export Java

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In case you use the option "database specific tools", the database will not be exported, but copied via backup/restore.

The java part of the system (SDM) will in all cases be exported/imported.

So in your case, you should create a manual backup of the database, export the java part of the system.

On the target sapinst will mention when you have to restore the backup of your source system, using the "database specific tools".

So everything looks fine to me!

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark

I'll proceed with the import & inform you about the outcome

My QAS system is the transport domain controller i.e. it hosts the transport directory /usr/sap/trans

What happens to pending transports after system copy ? Is there a way I can retain them or do I have to advice my users to complete pending requests so that I can import all of them before proceeding .

what happens to the CUA configurations in my 3 tier system landscape after I overwrite QAS ? I will make a note of all the RFC's & thier configuration details just incase I need to recreate them

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some doubts about the exported data.. Is the stuff mentioned in your first post the only data that is located in the JAVA directory? Have you done only the java export preparation, or have you also executed the export itself?

You can still execute the java export....

Your pending transports are in DEV I assume... It is not recommended to create transports in the QAS environment.

Just create a backup domain controller (eg. your productive or development system) and after the domain controllers falls away, the backup domain controller takes over.

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

When it comes to the transport queues, they are still intact since these thing are stored in the file system.

You should consider the following for the QAS queue:

Transports perviously imported to the QAS but NOT to the PRD should be imported into QAS again.

Usually you can find these transport by having a look at the PRD queue and

filter so you only see those waiting to be imported.

Answers (0)