Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Match Records - Import manager

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

When there is a table with NO DATA init, the match records options work diffrently.

This could be because matching record allways tries to compare source with destination values.

As here the destination table is blank i guess this could be the reason i am not able to judge the outcome.

Lets say i have 3 fields.

name dept cost

-

adapter IT 20

adapter IT 20

when i try to import the above data..

matching fileds : name

active match type default import action

-

2 of 2 NONE CREATE

Now if i chk the DM i can see only 1 record.

Is this behaviour correct!!! please educate me if i am missing something.

I would like to know how matching records work on a empty table.

Kind Regards

Eva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

As per example given by you, Now if i chk the DM i can see only 1 record. Is this behaviour correct!!!

Yes, this behavior is correct.

I would like to know how matching records work on a empty table.

Say you don't have any record maintained in Data Manager, your table is empty.

So when you import data using these two records in Import Manager

name dept cost

adapter IT 20

adapter IT 20

You will see 2 of 2 records as default Create under Default import actions. But both these records will not create as they are duplicate records of each other (as purpose of Matching field during Import Manager is to create a unique entry for each record) So only 1 record with name= adapter, dept = it and cost = 20 will create in Data Manager which actual is the correct way.

Hope it helps..

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva

as explained by others this is the correct behavior.

To add the numbers which is displayed in the matching tab 2 of 2 NONE CREATE is always with reference to the source file which is compared with the destination MDM table records.

thanks-Ravi

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I understood that when there is no data in my table and if i try to import data which has duplicates (complete record).

Then it will only import 1 record.

Onthe otherhand, If i have a table empty and if i try to import 2 records wherein

Name dept rating

adapter IT 20

adapter elec 30

as these are considered as NON -DUPLICATE values then it should import both the records.

But in matching fileds,

when i select NAME and Dept COMBINATION then i can see 2 records!!!

Wherein ,when i select NAME and Dept INDIVIDUALLY.

i can see only one record!!!

Can any one let me know why!!!

Kind Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Wherein ,when i select NAME and Dept INDIVIDUALLY.
i can see only one record!!!

By this means you are importing by name one time and other time you tried with dept.

If yes then it should not happen in case of matching field Dept because they have different data and not considered as duplicated data

whereas if you make NAME as matching field then it considered as duplicate data because it considered NAME as key field for record .

Your recod is different in total but if you consider any field in matching criteria then record duplicacy will calculate based on that field not on the record as total.

Thanks,

Suudhanshu

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, i have imported only once.

In matching fileds box i selected NAME and DEPT individually. (Remember there is a option in this box wherein u can selet as a combination also).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

As per my understanding:

when i select NAME and Dept COMBINATION then i can see 2 records!!!

Since the value match for the field combination is considered as Equal.

I mean in below case

Name dept rating

adapter IT 20

adapter elec 30

Combination of both fields is taken as Composite Key field (field combination = Equal), I mean AdapterIT is different from Adapterelec, therefore these 2 are considered as distinct records.

So that's way you are able to create 2 records in this case.

Wherein ,when i select NAME and Dept INDIVIDUALLY. I mean you have selected both the fields in matching field but not combine (mean in split position)

Since the value match for at least one of the matching fields is considered as Equal

You would able to see only one record because here one of these two fields(NAME) has same value adapter. I mean from atleast if you have source value as below then again it will create single record.

Name dept rating

adapter1 IT 20

adapter2 IT 30

Hope it clarifies..!!

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep ,

Thanks for this clarificvation.

I didnot know this things.

I just want to know one thing.

when we give as individual then it will refine in cascading basis,what i mean is if i have structure like this

fieldA fieldB field C

1 a d

1 a z

2 a b

3 b e

and in my matching field section we have all three fields as matching fields individually then in that case the output record will be

fieldA fieldB field C

1 a d

3 b e

M i right or not.

Please clarify this doubt.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

So, in conclusion..

Here we used EQL.

When a table is empty - As per the matching fields, data is compared upon source values only.

In matching fileds, what ever field you select it will chk whether duplicate values are present in that field or not.

If yes then that record is not imported.

if 2 fileds selected INDIVIDIALLY.

1st field values are duplicated and second field does not have duplicate.

all the records where 1st field duplicates are present ARE NOT IMPORTED.

Now, when i need to push some data to a table which has data already.

-> it first chks the Matching fields comparision 'within' source fields data first.

-> then it compares the result data and Destination data.

Is This True or it works differently

Kind Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva

the fields used for matching becomes similar to primary key as it is compared with the existing records in MDM repository and the MATCH TYPE is populated based on results.

If we use combination of fields as matching the combination is compared as explained by all. Thats the reason why you see different behaviors when selecting individual fields or combination.

@Sudhanshu - If we use individual fields without combining them, they are compared individually and score/MATCH TYPE suggested by MDM can be exact/partial or conflict.

COpying from the refernce guide-

Match Type

For each source record, the overall match type is based on: (1) the

combination of match types for each individual matching destination

record; where (2) the match type for each matching destination record is

based on the combination of value matches for each individual matching

field or field combination.

For each matching destination record, the match types include:

u2022 Exact. All the individual value matches are Equal.

u2022 Partial. At least one value match is Equal and at least one

Undefined; no value matches are Not Equal.

u2022 Conflict. At least one value match is Equal and at least one value

match is Not Equal.

thanks-Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi eva,

-> it first chks the Matching fields comparision 'within' source fields data first.
-> then it compares the result data and Destination data.

It will not check data at source level .It will just create key fields and match with destination data.

The data comparison will not happen with in source data level ,

After giving matching criteria fields they decide abt the match level on the destination value basis comparison

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

if 2 fileds selected INDIVIDIALLY.

1st field values are duplicated and second field does not have duplicate.

all the records where 1st field duplicates are present ARE NOT IMPORTED.

Yes, your understanding is partial correct, i mean new record will not imported(gets created into MDM) but it can be imported with updated fields with conditions (Partial or conflict) only

Now, when i need to push some data to a table which has data already.

-> then it compares the result data and Destination data

See as suggested above, if you select matching field as single field or Multiple fields selection with combined option then it worka as single match for these records if it finds already existing match for the combination of these fields only in that case you will able to update else result in newly created records.

If you go mutliple fields selection with Individual Option, I mean you will able to create new record only if all of these records fields has distinct values e.g. Suppose

Existing record in MDM

Name dept rating

adapter elec 30

will create new record only if your source file has below record.

Name dept rating

adapter1 elec1 40

else if you have any of the record for which any of the fields has same value it will only update the records based on condition as below:

Exact. All the individual value matches are Equal. e.g. source file has values adapter elec 30

Partial. At least one value match is Equal and at least one Undefined; e.g source file has values adapter 20

here one value is equal adapter, one value is not defined value for dept is null in your source file

Partial. At least one value match is Equal and no value matches are Not Equal e.g source values as adapter elec1 40

Conflict. At least one value match is Equal and at least one value match is Not Equal. e.g. Src value as adapter elec 40

@Sudhanshu, M i right or not. Your understanding is correct. Imported records would be only one of these 1 a d, 1 a z , 2 a b

For more understanding Please refer page 347-348/432 of import Reference guide

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmdm71/helpdata/en/4b/72b8e7a42301bae10000000a42189b/MDMImportManager71...

Figure 220. Multiple matching fields (SKU and UPC) and Figure 221. Multiple matching fields (SKU and Mfr. & PartNo.)

Hope it clarifies both of you.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I guess there is a small confusion.

I am trying to know how matching records act when there is already data in A TABLE and when the TABLE IS EMPTY.

Case 1 """When a table is empty"""

matching fields "data is compared upon source values only" (as there is no data in table).

In matching fileds, what ever field you select it will chk whether duplicate values are present in that field or not.

If yes then that record is not imported.

Case 2 """When Table has DATA INIT ALREADY ""

i need to push some data to a table which has data already.

As per your posts above i will conclude that it will compare source values with destination values.

No source data is compared within source values.

Kind Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Case 1 """When a table is empty"""

when you upload your source file to MDM it will match to the destination records but when your table it empty

it will create the records which means in source file if you have duplicate records then first records will created

in table and then rest of all other records will compare one by one at destination side

Case 2 """When Table has DATA INIT ALREADY ""

even when table has data it will source file recods will always compare will distinaion data based upon your matching field

selection

Note : Source data will never compare will source data, it will compare with destination data

Note : if source records are found in destination side it will update respective data else will create new records based on matching selection

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

To add to my above post.

I tried the following scenario.

My table has 3 fields:

Name :

Dept :

Rating:

it has 1 record.

Name : adapter

Dept : IT

Rating: 20

Now in my source file i have 2 records

Name : Dept : Rating:

cable IT 30

caSe IT 40

In matching fields i selected only 'Dept' field.

Now i can see 2 of 2 records are EXACT.

Which means the dept values of source are compared with dept values of destination.

i selected 'Replace'.

Now in DM i can see

case IT 40

Here, Name : adapter

is replaced by

case IT 40

But my question is It has identified 2 records are similar from source towards destination. Then when i select Replace why did it import only 1 record instead of 2 (which it identified) ??

My assumption: May be it has removed the duplicates at source level. If that is the case we should allways assume that the number that we see in Active records coulmn is not the number of records it is going to import.

once you select the action from the resulted records it removes the duplicates and executes the action.

Is my assumption correct!!!

Please clarify.

Kind Regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

First i want to clear that it never happened taht data is compared with in source file whether the destination table is empty or not.

Secondly whatever jignes mentioned is correct.

When destination has no data then source table find no record that match the duplicate source records thats why it shows 2 records NONE but when it imports into destination it discards all the other duplicate records.

In this case you set it REPLACE and why the destination record come as

case IT 40

because it first replace existing destination record with first record i.e.

from

Name : adapter

to

cable IT 30

then again it find second record for same record and find that action is REPLACE so this time it REPLACE

cable IT 30

to

case IT 40

Hope it clarifies yr doubt.

Thanks,

Sudhanshu

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Now its pretty clear guys.

Thanks for taking extra effort in explaining in detail.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Your Question

2 of 2 NONE CREATE

Now if i chk the DM i can see only 1 record.

Is this behaviour correct!!!

Answer

Yes You are correct, in your source file may contain dulicate records while importing this data in MDM it will display the same number of recoreds as in your source file but after get imported this data to MDM the duplcate entry will remove that means if you have 4 dulicate in source file then during importing this data it will display 4 records in create mode (4 of 4 None Create ) once data get imported then its display only 1 records in MDM Data Manager

Thanks,

Jignesh Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Two records are same one is duplicate, you can able to see in DM manager only record, whenever you import these data throgh import manager into MDM in match fields tab you can select update all mapped fields or replace option.

Regards,

Bhupal.