cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long running programs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

some of the time we get the situation where program (in background job) takes unusal time for execution and it will keep running...

I checked the memory utilization...logs..dumps....but no success....

when i go to SM50..I see only user and Report..there is nothing in action Tab and no table as well..

When I double click the process ..there also it dont show anything...

sometimes we kill this and ask user to resatrt the program and it will go fine....but can anybody know how to troubleshoot this scenario

Regards,

Yash

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yash,

Probably this happens due to a bad coding, something unexpected are ocurring inside the program which fall into infinite loop waiting one condition with never hapens.

To check this, you can go deeper into code (ABAP expertise required) by one or both of two ways:

- starting the debug from SM50 --> Program/Session --> Program -> Debugging or

- trace it with SE30 --> In Parallel Session --> Select your process and click on Start measurement.... Wait some time, stop and analyse the infos.

Regards, Fernando Da Ró

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando,

Thx for your input.

I started the trace for that background job, but in trace it is showing 100% used in ABAP and in details it is showing runtime analysis.

there is no information in job log and spool as well. (its showing program started and job finshed)

Regards,

Yash

former_member182114
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yash,

That's why I suggested you to go to SE30, in order to you get the exactly code that are spending time there's nothing point to DB.

Only with the SE30/debug you can have what in ABAP execution are wasting this time. If is this time oked or not, if there are some kind of information that can be tunned.

After you find this piece of code you can thinking about tunning it.

Is it standard code? Is it a customer code calling a standard code?

Please give more detailes about the program and results of SE30 verification.

Regards, Fernando Da Ró

Former Member
0 Kudos

System performance improved post Fix and events implementation as per SAP Note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g.pdf

Thx,

Yash

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's not always you can see the action, did the job generates spools ? if yes then check with the spool logs there at last you can check what's the last statement is upto, or you can paste the job log, steps details here.

Regards,