cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture program to scan and assign. Which software do I need?

former_member184588
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am starting with document management in sap and there are a couple of questions that are unresolved for me.

We have paper documents coming in. Then they become a barcode on the first paper. They become scanned after this. Now I would like to assign them to a customer ID or something like that.

I have the software for my scanner to scan the paper. What software else do I need in order to get through the capture process (say the program things will be scanned, the barcode is read, I am asked by the software for the document type ... )

I already found postings like but this is working with local file and afterwards loading the file into the dms. It there a way to avoid the saving and loading steps... so this is directly putting the scanned document to the dms and asking for some attributes?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend,

Vanessa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vanessa,

For uplaoding document into dms either you can use t-code CV01n or BDC uplaoding for bulk documents.

This is feasible ony for uploading and for this you need to give path of the original files which are saved on some system.

Now, your requirement is to scan the documents automatically by some software is not possible at any way. You need to keep the original file as ready for uploading at some location for uploading. Once you store files ,it's easy to upload separately or in batch also. But for scanning there is no possible way.

I hoep this will resolve the query.

Regards,

Ravindra

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vanessa

You have a couple of options for external software but the first suggestion I would make is that if you intend scanning documents and adding them to SAP, ArchiveLink is a better solution than SAP DMS. SAP DMS is designed for technical documents like engineering drawings, ArchiveLink is designed for scanning an attaching documents to Transactions.

The most common solutions for this functionality would be:

Open Text for SAP

Kofax

Readsoft (Readsoft normally only work with invoices in accounts payable)

Open Text is sold and supported by SAP and is SAP's recommended solution. It has scan options to allow you to scan, read barcodes and attach directly to a customer. Open Text also offer specific solutions for SAP scenarios HR, Customers, Suppliers or Projects so the solution is pre-built and designed for a particular use in mind which reduces the amount of customisation required. I suggest you chat to your SAP AE about their options as you may qualify for SAP discounting based on your company.

You can check out the solution extensions for SAP at http://www.sap.com/solutions/solutionextensions/index.epx or http://www.opentext.com/2/sol-products/sol-pro-extensions-sap.htm

Edited by: Athol Hill on Jul 13, 2010 11:36 AM

former_member184588
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ravindra and Athol Hill,

thanks for your answers. It really helped me to so some points more clear.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Vanessa

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.