cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between a web service and an Enterprise Service ?

suchita_phulkar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Can anyone help me in understanding the difference between webb service and enterprise service or are they the same things ?

I know web services and how to create them but dont know about enteriprise service.

I am SAP CRM Technical consultant and not much into web services / enterprise services . Your help in my learning of these will be highly appreciated.

Awaiting replies.

Thanks & Regards,

Suchita

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Enterprise Service = Webservice + Business sense + GDT (Global Data Type)

Enterprise service is webservice and it is just marketing buzzword from SAP.

I'll focus on Two Key differentiator:

-unlike Webservice granularity of ES is limited to complete Business Function for example: CreateSalesOrder will qualify as ES while inside this ES there could be possibility of having another 10 different Webservice, but from SAP perspective only business functions can be qualified as ES.

-Global Data Type: SAP is using GDT to define service so there will be harmonization of datatype across SAP landscape so EmployeeId is known as EmployeeId anywhere in SAP SOA world.

From technical perspective NO Difference

Regards,

Gourav

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you compare web services to RFC enabled function modules, Enterprise Services would be BAPIs : a stable and documented interface for a business function.

All Enterprise Services are Web services. All Web Services are not Enterprise Services.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suchita,

The way I see it is that they are essentially the same in how they work, i.e. soap calls over http.

So, you could essentially web service enable whatever you want in the Abap CRM backend, that way you'll have webservices all over the place & make it very difficult to manage. But what you really want to do is create a more sustainable environment & one that can be governed & controlled in a better fashion. That where SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) came into the picture. With SOA you have a business object like Customer Management with it's underlying operations (e.g. create customer, maintain customer, delete customer etc...) grouped together in one service. So you call one service & then stipulate what you want to do. Prior to SOA you would have one web service for each operation. In the past, you could have coded one big Abap program to manage all this operations but then you have latency/performance issues. With the SOA approach each operation will have it's own Abap implementation/proxy.

Enterprise Services is SAP's take on SOA. Enterprise Services essentially encapsulate specific operations in a Business Process context. For a better definition read the first paragraph here:

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/soa]

Regards, Trevor